Plumbers tape on IPS threads with NPT nipple???

Users who are viewing this thread

ny architect

Reaction score
Congratulations Terry on a fantastic site.

I need to connect 2 braided stainless faucet hoses together to get from my faucet to my water supply. I cannot use one hose as the one that came with the faucet requires a small male connection on one end.

Both hoses have 1/2" female IPS ends. I am using a hex nipple with 1/2" male NPT threads, to which I have applied teflon tape.

Is this correct? Should I use an IPS nipple? Should I NOT use thread sealant?

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure what you mean by a "hex nipple" but you do not need tape and should use a 1/2" brass nipple. There are also other ways of making the extension, but that is the best one for the materials you have.

ny architect

Reaction score
HJ:

it is a Watts brass nipple with a hex head in the center of 2 threaded ends. It is tapered pipe thread, not IPS straight thread.

is brass OK for potable water???

thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Brass?
It should be.

And like hj said, no Teflon tape on the braided water supplies. They have their own washer seals on the ends.
The Teflon tape could cause a leak.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The faucet connectors use the thick rubber gasket for a seal, not the threads. Hence, no tape. It could actually interfere with the gasket.

Even though a faucet inlet is straight thread and the nipple is tapered, the connector will screw on to either one and the gasket will seal fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks