Plumbers Putty When Replacing Tub Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Jacob808

Reaction score
I need to replace our tub drain and wanted to check which plumbers putty is the right one to use. We have a fiberglass tub with ABS plumbing below. I’ve taken the drain out before and am pretty sure plumbers putty was used when first installed. I have Oatey’s brand regular as well as stain free. Does it matter which one I use? I’ve also read that plumbers putty isn’t advised on ABS plumbing, but the putty isn’t being placed on the ABS, but on the drain/tub. Does that matter as well? Thanks for any help!

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would use the oatey putty either one, Silicone would be impossible to remove later,

Why do you keep replacing the tub shoe ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some putty is oil based, some is not. You want to use one that won't weep oil into the fiberglass material, so something like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/OATEY-9-oz-Stain-Free-Plumber-s-Putty-31177/203013821
Silicone has both advantages and disadvantages...if you needed/wanted to replace the drain, you likely won't get it out without damaging the tub...good for the tub manufacturer, not good for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks