Plumber got paid and left unfinished

Users who are viewing this thread

Walter Lebowaski

Reaction score
So, paid a plumber to install a delta shower tub combo package (spout, shower head, handheld, diversions, trim, shouldn't). He was on one of the last steps, the shower head when I stopped by to pay him. It was a busy day for me (like it is for almost anyone these days) and paid him in cash asking for no discount for doing so as a small way to say TY. I KNOW, I KNOW. Shouldn't have paid out before work was done. Anyway, I can see he drilled the hole for the arm to eardrop connection slightly off the right. It was even marked where the cut was supposed to be and he missed it by an inch. Photos are attached. Question is what can I do to finish this. I am more than decently qualified for a lot of DIY/trade work. I just don't mess with plumbing or the main box when it comes to electric. Can't really stomach taking too much more loot out of my pocket for help.

pic 1 - Shows the hole not in line with other components

pic 2 - Shows in wall ear drop connection as best as possible

unnamed.jpg
unnamed (3).jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The picture on the left, is that the top hole? And is that for a shower arm, or for even more than that? What still needs to be installed.
It's unusual to hear a story where the contractor gets paid and doesn't come back to finish. I hope he follows through with you.

Looks like the Delta R10000 and the R11000 diverter.

delta_r11000.jpg

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like you need to drill a hole in the right spot and screw a shower arm into it. Install the last of the trim and done. Finding something to cover the might be tough you may need to stick a "trim piece of tile to the wall to cover.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The normal way rough-in plumbing is left, is with stubs in place. (BTW that wing drop-ear fitting doesn't seem to have a screw in it !!!
The tile contractor then cuts tile to fit and the stubs remain to be removed at the time of trim plumbing.
You are now faced with replacing the tile or replumbing from behind to match the hole.

Walter Lebowaski

Reaction score
Looks like you need to drill a hole in the right spot and screw a shower arm into it. Install the last of the trim and done. Finding something to cover the might be tough you may need to stick a "trim piece of tile to the wall to cover.
So I can simply place a tile piece behind the opening (if there is one) from first hole being cut incorrectly? Seal it with quad max or some other trusted sealant and good to go?

Walter Lebowaski

Reaction score
The picture on the left, is that the top hole? And is that for a shower arm, or for even more than that? What still needs to be installed.
It's unusual to hear a story where the contractor gets paid and doesn't come back to finish. I hope he follows through with you.

delta_r11000.jpg
Yes, its the shower head hole

Walter Lebowaski

Reaction score

delta_r11000.jpg
It is for the arm provided with the DELTA kit. Really its the arm, shower head and then the last of the main valve that are left

DIYinATX

Reaction score
A larger trim piece in the correct location won't extend far enough to cover the incorrectly located hole?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
A larger trim piece in the correct location won't extend far enough to cover the incorrectly located hole?
I'm not aware of an escutcheon that is wide enough for that.

No you don't just fill the hole with sealant. You'd stick a piece of "trim" say maybe 6" by 6" over the spot. The trim piece will need a hole in it. I'm thinking an appropriately colored small piece of granite or some kind of pretty something that matches, over the hole. The piece you choose must also have a hole in it, but in the right place. Then the shower arm goes through the trim piece and covers the hole.

If you are searching for an escutcheon it'll need to be 1/2" ips I.D. and the O.D. will need to be big enough to cover which I don't think you'll find.

Either these two things or you'll have to redo and patch back in the tile, which might be easy enough.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You could also consider a blank escutcheon and drill it out as needed. I once made my own escutcheon from the bottom of a large stainless steel measuring cup.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks