Pipe sizing and distances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Can someone please translate this for me? Haha.

P3005.5Connections to offsets and bases of stacks.​

Horizontal branches shall connect to the bases of stacks at a point located not less than 10 times the diameter of the drainage stack downstream from the stack. Horizontal branches shall connect to horizontal stack offsets at a point located not less than 10 times the diameter of the drainage stack downstream from the upper stack.

My remodel which is starting small in a laundry room that I have brought up in other threads, will later on also be including the conversion of one bath(and bedroom) into two baths. I will need to completely redo all the DWV system. So I am researching the code to find all the nuances involved. I have read the above code about a dozen times and looked up all the definitions...and frankly I am still puzzled. Can someone put this in English...please?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It means they don't want a bunch of winding pipes connecting to the stack. If your pipe is 4" then you need to tie in 40 inches above the floor. If you branch off with a 90 and tie into the offset there needs to be 40 inches of offset.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water going around bends can close off a 90. They want the water to flow across the bottom of the pipe arms take nice easy turns. No spiral water slides for your poopy.

Reaction score
It means they don't want a bunch of winding pipes connecting to the stack. If your pipe is 4" then you need to tie in 40 inches above the floor. If you branch off with a 90 and tie into the offset there needs to be 40 inches of offset.
hmmm...sorry that didn't help lol. The math was the only part I DID understand hehe. If what pipe is 4"? What are you calling the "floor"? The other sentence even worse. I got a lot of learning to do before I attempt this.

Lets take this line...Horizontal branches shall connect to the bases of stacks at a point located not less than 10 times the diameter of the drainage stack downstream from the stack.
What is considered the base of the stack? Where it turns to horizontal? Oh wait, shit are they saying you are tying into the horizontal drain that is leaving the stack? OK that maybe helps...I was picturing a horizontal tying into the stack itself...

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Translation: when a 3" vertical drain segment at least one story tall (a stack) turns to horizontal, don't join any other horizontal drains to it until 30" downstream of the bottom of the stack segment. Or 40" for a 4" stack, etc.

Cheers, Wayne

Reaction score
Translation: when a 3" vertical drain segment at least one story tall (a stack) turns to horizontal, don't join any other horizontal drains to it until 30" downstream of the bottom of the stack segment. Or 40" for a 4" stack, etc.

Cheers, Wayne
There we go...thank you. Clear now.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score

Cheers, Wayne
I never looked into that code at all since I'm in UPC nothing like that in my code.
Your interpretation is far different than Johns of being 4o inches off the floor. So I'm guessing a 2 stacks coming off a underground would need that 10 times diameter between them? UPC doesn't have anything at all governing that ASFAIK.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I never looked into that code at all since I'm in UPC nothing like that in my code.
It reminds me of UPC 711.0 on Suds Relief which starts off:

Drainage connections shall not be made into a drainage piping system within 8 feet (2438 mm) of a vertical to horizontal change of direction of a stack containing suds-producing fixtures. Bathtubs, laundries, washing machine standpipes, kitchen sinks, and dishwashers shall be considered suds-producing fixtures. . . .

So I wonder if that's the point of P3005.5. But UPC 711.0 exempts single family residences and stacks under 3 stories.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your interpretation is far different than Johns of being 4o inches off the floor. So I'm guessing a 2 stacks coming off a underground would need that 10 times diameter between them? UPC doesn't have anything at all governing that ASFAIK.
Actually no we said the same thing. Bottom of a stack and the floor being the same.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It reminds me of UPC 711.0 on Suds Relief which starts off:

Drainage connections shall not be made into a drainage piping system within 8 feet (2438 mm) of a vertical to horizontal change of direction of a stack containing suds-producing fixtures. Bathtubs, laundries, washing machine standpipes, kitchen sinks, and dishwashers shall be considered suds-producing fixtures. . . .

So I wonder if that's the point of P3005.5. But UPC 711.0 exempts single family residences and stacks under 3 stories.

Cheers, Wayne
yea similar they are quite a bit different totally different wording and suds isn't related its all stacks . I don't see any where about it being 10 diameters above the floor allowing a connection to a vertical stack ? a bit confusing

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
yea similar they are quite a bit different totally different wording and suds isn't related its all stacks . I don't see any where about it being 10 diameters above the floor allowing a connection to a vertical stack ? a bit confusing
No your right. I interpreted it wrong and was incorrect.

A drawing would be the best way for me to say what this means now that I've "recalibrated". Lol

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
No your right. I interpreted it wrong and was incorrect.

A drawing would be the best way for me to say what this means now that I've "recalibrated". Lol
Its a strange code they have john . I dont get into the upc version much on resedential and when I was on big stuff like high rise I followed prints and only would mention real blatent stuff because they just wanted to see pipe in the air per plan. And its the first I seen the ipc version

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks