PEX pipe support when perpendicular to 48" OC beams?

Users who are viewing this thread

NoCastIron

Reaction score

My floor construction looks like the above image. Large beams (4x8 in my case) running the length of the house, 2x6 T&G subfloor running perpendicular to that, no joists.

All current plumbing is ran below the beams, nothing through. I plan to continue this practice. When running PEX piping horizontally I believe it has to be strapped every 32", and the beams are ~48" OC. I know that metal "half-sleeves" are sold to support pipe over long runs, but I can't find these anywhere.

How are people supporting the pipe when running perpendicular to the beams?
A 1x2 or 2x4 screwed to the bottom and PEX attached to that?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you could run these through, or attached to, EMT, ABS pipe or PVC pipe. The wood strips you suggest should work too.

There are more expensive solutions.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
PEX needs to be supported every 18". They make trays. Sammy's, all thread.

Edit something got mixed in my brain. 32" is correct. Thank you reach.

You could make trays out of pvc or anything really then use a teardrop or clevis hanger. That'll get you to 32" pretty easy. But I think the pex snaps into the trays.

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I recall seeing a plastic J-hook Sioux Chief Hangs Tuff that you could clip in 2 pipes to. similar to this one designed for cables.

jht-322.jpg

553-33w-3.jpg

NoCastIron

Reaction score
John, do you have links to anything specific in the trays? I know what all thread is, but I'm not sure the proper terminology to search for and "all thread pex tray" (or "support") returns a massive variety of options that don't look correct
EDIT: Sammies look to basically be a screw with a threaded nut so you can attach all thread or something similar into them. so they're just an anchor, correct?

Thanks to some additional research it seems that it's code in WA to insulate pipe in unconditioned crawlspaces, whereas previously I had understood it to just be recommended.

With this what I've decided to do is wrap all the pipe (still cant figure out if hot and cold needs to be insulated or just hot supply lines) in standard foam insulation and hang it in 1.5" PVC J-hooks (or 2" if those fit better). I'm on the fence about the J-hooks though because the pipe isn't "secured", it's just "sitting" in the hooks.

Questions from this:
  • something like a talon captures the pipe versus a hook doesn't; is there concern or code reasons why a hook wouldnt be acceptable? What about something like a double-sided J-hook so that I can run hot and cold and only need to hang one hook for each support point?
  • relating to the first bullet point, does pipe insulation have to be continuous? or could I use normal tubing mounts with a "break" in the insulation for the clips to be directly on the PEX
  • is there a preferred pipe insulation? can i just go to lowes or HD and pick up the 6' sections that are split down one side to slide over pipe easily? unless it's needed I wasn't planning on getting the adhesive stuff

Edit: Tuttles I saw your response after I typed mine out, that double-sided J-hook is exactly what I'm referencing above with the double clip. The question about insulation still stands, if I use this double-sided hook sized for PEX can the insulation "break" at the hook?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
relating to the first bullet point, does pipe insulation have to be continuous? or could I use normal tubing mounts with a "break" in the insulation for the clips to be directly on the PEX

The insulation is more related to energy loss than protection against freezing, especially in your case. So having 1/2" long breaks every 3ft isn't a huge loss but you can get a larger size that fits over the installed insulation and fit it around. Contact adhesive glue adheres them well.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
something like a talon captures the pipe versus a hook doesn't; is there concern or code reasons why a hook wouldnt be acceptable?
If you use a hook 48" on center (suspended from the 2x subfloor) plus pipe supports at the beams that surrounds the insulated pipe (e.g. a two hole strap), I'd have zero concern that every other support is a hook and doesn't provide much lateral restraint.

Cheers, Wayne

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I would even consider (though, I agree, doesn't look the best) a single nail up PEX clip to the subfloor mid-span.
If you want that support channel, search: "Uponor support channel". Designed for 2" PEX each 9' section runs ~$25.

NoCastIron

Reaction score
breplum the Uponor support channel I know about, and I know they sell all sorts of sizes including 1/2" and 3/4" (and recently i've found that Ferguson carries it which they have a number of branches close to me). Uponor F7040500 (for 1/2"). I'm leaning towards using that and the double-sided sioux chief hooks, and then wrapping insulation around them after-the-fact between all the j-hooks

NoCastIron

Reaction score
Thanks all!
This helped me to locate the Uponor pipe support as mentioned above which I can source from a local shop and should make running between beams in the crawlspace very easy. I haven't finalized support method yet but I'm leaning towards the double J-hooks to have an easy time with the insulation install!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks