Pex and uv light exposure

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
I plumbed up my whole house 7 years ago with Pex type B. All the pipes are in the walls except for the basement. At the time of purchase the only warning was to not expose the pex to more than 30 days of UV sunlight.
Today I watched a video that said you should not expose any pex to Uv light even led bulls.
In my basement almost all the pex is strapped to the ceiling joists. Unfinished basement used for a shop and storage.
Do I need to be concerned that the led lights in the basement are somehow exposing the pex to fail prematurely? No windows or sunlight in the basement. Should I somehow prepare that there could be an eventual failure? Thanks

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it, but I would also throw the "pool noodle" insulation on them anyway (cheap, does no harm, and insulates the pipes) and tape the seams.

LED bulbs don't put out a lot of UV, but they put out some, but nothing compared to sunlight or even indirect sunlight. In any case, the exposed PEX is, well, exposed, and if you have a problem, it will be in an accessible area. If you get a leak someday, then you might want to shotgun the rest.

Otherwise, if I was a betting man, I'd put money that you don't have anything to worry about.

John

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't remember the ratio but it was something like 40 hrs of florescent was equal to one hr of sunlight for UV content. Not sure about led lights, but yes your pex should be covered. Latext paint works.

That said I wouldn't worry about it unless you have lights on a lot and they are right onto the pipe, and even then my worry scale would be a 3 out of 10.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks