PEX air pressure test

Users who are viewing this thread

Martin Canada

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am just about to put my drywall up and want to make sure my PEX water supply lines are good to go. I have a hot and a cold 3/4" main line going to a manifold reducing down to 1/2". I looped at the shower lines (shower valve not installed) and capped the rest. I put the pressure at 80PSI and loose about 5-6PSI over 3 hours. I did re-crimp all the fittings and went around with soap water ( no bubbles to be seen). Now I wonder if the 5-6PSI drop over 3 hours is acceptable and due to expanding lines, air temperature from compressed air, change in outside temperature? Any ideas and input would be really appreciated since I want to be confident in the system before I cover everything with drywall.

Thank you so much

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. Not sure about the pressure drop, but it seems high. However, you are not supposed to double crimp your fittings.

Reach4

Reaction score
The old Uponor link doesn't work any more. The jist is to apply extra air pressure for a period (hours??). Then back off to the test pressure, and watch for a drop from there. The PEX will slowly expand when first pressurized, so the pressure drops. By pre-stretching the pex, the test can proceed.

Martin Canada

Reaction score
The old Uponor link doesn't work any more. The jist is to apply extra air pressure for a period (hours??). Then back off to the test pressure, and watch for a drop from there. The PEX will slowly expand when first pressurized, so the pressure drops. By pre-stretching the pex, the test can proceed.
I have read about the pre stretching. My compressor only gets it up to 80psi. So maybe do a pre stretch to 80psi and than drop it down to 60psi and see how long it holds?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
1.5 times the supply pressure for 15 min. Using a gauge that who's max is roughly one third larger than 1.5 the supply pressure. Longer tests just make for pulling your hair out unless your accounting for temp changes.

If your supply pressure is 60 psi then the test pressure should be 90 psi with a gauge that reads to 120 (roughly two thirds of the gauge is 90) this keeps the gauge increments small enough to read a drop over 15 min.

Martin Canada

Reaction score
Holding 100psi over hours. the pressure gauge my buddy gave me was failing. Built a new one and all good. Thanks for the input. If you ever have troubles with your test start with switching the gauge. Would have saved me lots of stress and time. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks