Outdoor kitchen island not draining. Help needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Israel Avila

Reaction score
A few years ago I installed an outdoor kitchen island that drains into the yard. Never had any issues since we used this sink infrequently and for minor rinsing. Fast forward to our kitchen being remodeled and the wife has been using it regularly. Now it won’t drain.

I snaked and cleared the drain from the sink to a vent near the outlet in the yard (about 10 ft from the sink). If I inject pressurized water into the sink from a hose, water comes out the vent in the yard which confirms the drain is not clogged. But the side sink won’t drain out of the vent with just gravity.

My preliminary research leads me to believe I need to install AAV under the sink and lower the horizontal arm. Am I correct, on the right track or way off? I hope the pictures attached help illustrate the situation. Thank you in advance for your help.
091078D6-BD26-4F40-8C4C-645057AE7474.jpeg
069B22A9-7B42-4D7D-81B6-F56E3C8BC136.jpeg
544B980E-83D9-4CBE-A716-B658FA8529D1.jpeg
650DD375-576C-46EA-8112-80A0ECFCE8C2.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It confirms vent is clear not that drain isn't plugged. not that big a deal but your island was not built right your sink isn't vented properly a fix for that but might not meet code is an AAV , this won't fix your complaint but addresses a separate issue.
you've still got a stoppage so perhaps more snaking until water goes down the drain and not up a "vent" in the ground 10 foot away

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks