Online Shopping for a water softener - Which Brands?

Users who are viewing this thread

Br3902s

Reaction score
Hello,

We are in the process of purchasing a new house and will need a water softener and an iron filter. We have a local company that puts a system in this house that WORKS wonderful.... but they are very high-pressure sales Sign right now and after the fact found out the prices they charged were outrageous so I would rather not use them again. Their products are clearly re-branded as their own and the low-pressure RO they sold me started out at $1400.... dropped to $800 pretty quick and after the sale I found the units online for less than half that. The Softener and the Iron filter were a rip-off as well - Water Softener, Iron Filter, and RO all together started out over $10,000 and that was some super deal... They came down quite a bit playing 2 or three rounds of the "let me go outside and call the boss to see what I can do" but after some quick searches after the fact I found out I still got ripped off by several thousand dollars lol. /Rant - live and learn

Fleck seems to be popular as I look around and I noticed the equipment they sold me had a Fleck valve on it even though it was branded as their own. Do other online companies also use good valves or components and just re-brand? It looks like I can buy a Fleck setup online way cheaper than what they sold me one of theirs for.

Some of these online companies you just never know how long they will be around for or what the quality is as the prices range significantly. but if it's standard parts rebranded I would not be as concerned about getting service down the road.

Not sure about the hardness for the new home but where we are now is around 30 gpg and assume it will be similar... Any recommendations for a good unit as our local company I just rather not deal with again.

Also - what would the equivalent to the "iron breaker /w ozone" unit listed on this page below? I will need to find something like this but every vendor seems to have a different option and not sure what to get.... I just know this has worked very well for me.

So glad I found this forum! I have been reading up on this stuff for a few days and my head is spinning with all the vendors, options and solutions :)

BIGBREW

Reaction score
So when I built my house I ordered a softener online, it came from Aplus Water LLC. Since buying from them I have had good luck with customer service with Aplus and have bought other items from them. I would find out the exact hardness of your water, you will want to know that to size the softener to the amount of people living in the household. I use an AIO for sulfur and I have the Fleck 2510 on a 1.5 cu ft tank.

Alysaleve

Reaction score
Fleck is good for a DIY system from what I have heard, but personally I have had Kinetico for decades and if we ever get to a point that we don't take ours with us I will get another Kinetico. Mine has been moving with us on the moving truck for decades and has been very much worth every penny we paid.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Most online companies are pushing hard on the price so quality goes downhill very quickly. As to what system you need, have you had a real water test done yet by a proper lab? I assume you are on a well if you are having iron related problems. Check out this link, one of the better water testing companies. NTLWATERTEST

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks