One water closet / toilet, need vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wayner123

Reaction score
Hello all,

Thank you all for this wonderful forum as a resource. I have searched and couldn't kind the exact situation I am dealing with, so here it goes;

I have a workshop that I want to put in a toilet. This will be the only line that will be exiting the workshop. There are no other drains attached to it, nor any other fixtures. Just a 4" stub (vertical) to a 4x3 closet bend, and a 3" line running out (picture below)

Do I need a vent if nothing else will be draining?

SECTION WORKSHOP.JPG

Phread

Reaction score
Hello all,

Thank you all for this wonderful forum as a resource. I have searched and couldn't kind the exact situation I am dealing with, so here it goes;

I have a workshop that I want to put in a toilet. This will be the only line that will be exiting the workshop. There are no other drains attached to it, nor any other fixtures. Just a 4" stub (vertical) to a 4x3 closet bend, and a 3" line running out (picture below)

Do I need a vent if nothing else will be draining?

View attachment 90846
Yes, it is usually required by code. That being said, please refer to your local code to make sure. If it is required, it may state what is required.

Wayner123

Reaction score
Yes, it is usually required by code. That being said, please refer to your local code to make sure. If it is required, it may state what is required.

Thank you for the reply, but I don't have to worry about code here. I just want to know if water will still flow properly.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes it needs a vent . or at least an aav youll at least have a pipe you can use in the future above the slab if in the future you decide it might be handy to have a sink

JohnR007

Reaction score
The explanation I once got from a retired master plumber (when he was explaining how vents work and why they are necessary) is that everyone frets over venting toilets, but that toilets don't actually need a vent. The explanation was that vents are there to break the siphon (think taking your finger off a straw full of water) so that the fixture trap doesn't empty completely. Instead toilets work the opposite, they flush and empty the trap on purpose... then while they re-fill the little tube in the tank squirts water back into the trap to re-fill it. Take that for what it's worth, I can't validate or refute the claim, but it seemed to make sense to me. My advice would be to rough in a sink... it serves as a vent, and if anyone ever looks at the property, like if you go to sell, it's going to be obvious this wasn't to code if you don't see a vent... could cause problems. But then there's the other side which is that a sink is a useful thing to have in a shop, and if you are going through the trouble to get a septic line and water in there... it's very little effort to add it.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
With a vent it may not drain very well and you'll hear gurgling after the flush. The water in the bowl can be drawn down into the waste line because negative pressure can be created. If the sewer line becomes high in pressure, sewer gas can push past the trap way and enter the room.

With a vent there will be no problems. Below shows a simple way to vent a toilet. If you are tying into a rough in drain line already coming up from the slab, adding a wye on the outside of the wall is very doable as long it is 6 feet from the toilet trap way.

On YouTube search "How To Vent & Plumb a Toilet (in 2022)" by Hammerpedia. The YouTube link for this vedio is somehow blocked. It will not link from this page.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if code calls for a lavatory.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks