Oil tank code violation

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
My oil delivery service company replaced an our old tank in 2014 and a few years later a mainenance guy said the vent was improperly inverted and told me it would be fine long as the tank isn't overfilled. It's been that way until now with no problem. But now the very old combi-boiler will be replaced by the same company. Today I picked up the permit from Code Enforcement and he told me there'd be an inspection after the installation. SO I'm sitting here wondering what will happen if the code officer sees the screwy tank vent and won't approve the installation of the oil tank, retrospectively. For whatever reason seems it was never inspected. This is a BIG oil services company, not a freelance job. I think they screwed up by not installing a horzontal tank originally instead of what the installed, a vertical tank with very little headroom. Took the easy route after bringing the wrong tank. One question is if the tank has to be replaced, should they have to pay for the mistake? This is kind of a legal question. Anyone have an opinion? Thanks. Here's vent situation photo.

IMG_5269.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should have paid to have it done right ? Did you pay for a proper job ,? Upon rereading it sounds like you may have indeed trusted the experts and they cheated (you) and never told you the work was inferior so I think they need to fix it free regardless of inspector catching it

Reaction score
you should have paid to have it done right ? did you pay for a proper job ,? Upon re rading it sounds like you may have indeed trusted the experts and they cheated (you) and never told you the work was inferior so I think they need to fix it free regardless of inspector catching it
They are expert, no question about that, Big business as I said. I just wanted to get a read from anyone who may have a valid opinion and you sure seem to...so thanks. Sadly, I asked them about it and was rudely ignored. Now, the fact that the code officer will come by after the new oil buner is installed, it ought to be a whole other ball game. I know the code guy, we've worked together on other things and he's thorough. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
You should have paid to have it done right ? Did you pay for a proper job ,? Upon rereading it sounds like you may have indeed trusted the experts and they cheated (you) and never told you the work was inferior so I think they need to fix it free regardless of inspector catching it

Reaction score
Thanks to any and all who responded to this. The upshot is that (short version) a pinhole leak above our 30 yr old boiler knocked out the electronics. We were due for a new boiler and pushed that up...it was replaced two weeks ago. The issue of the oil tank came up and after 8 years of doing battle with the company about the tank, after they installed the new boiler, at NO CHARGE, moved the oil tank to CODE SPEC distance from the boiler AND fixed the screwed up vent pipes. Worked out great except for needing the new boiler!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Glad it worked out didnt mean to throw under the bus but they should have re worked vent to begin with .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks