NR-240A-NG // Low pressure output, not heating, Error Code 38E

Users who are viewing this thread

JM2020

Reaction score
Good Day Experts,

I am experiencing low flow and cold water from my NR-240A-NG tankless water heater.

I have cleaned the air intake filter (light skim of dust/derbis), drained the water heater, cleaned the cold water inlet filter (it is now somewhat broken/screen in pieces), dirt/mud trap (this was filthy with dirt and brown water) and the recirculation inlet filter.
Occasionally I am seeing Error Code 38E (Abnormal circulation pump).

My questions
- Will the broken inlet filter cause any of these issues? I will pick a new one up in the city tomorrow or order one if I cannot find one locally.
- Will cleaning the scale/build up with vinegar or a mild cleaning solution fix this issue? I have yet to do this but will get a submersible sump pump tomorrow and try cleaning this.
- Error Code 38E also mentioned it could be a faulty flow sensor valve, I just replaced this 2-3 months ago so I am leaning against this being the issue. Is there a way to verify/test this with a multimeter or some method? What voltage or resistance should I see through this?
- If it is in fact the circulation pump, how can I verify this before replacing? Multimeter test? Some other test?
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I would consider myself quite handy and able to perform any troubleshooting given I have the appropriate tooling. I am also hoping to connect with Navien customer support tomorrow, but of course, these issues always arise after business hours.

Thanks

JM2020

Reaction score
Update - The circulation pump does get 120V when it is turned on. It does however make a strange sound when it is turned on that I don't recall it making before.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks