Notch joist for preferred tub or choose another

Users who are viewing this thread

TriSquare

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to replace an existing Bootz Aloha alcove tub with a Kaldewei Cayono 5' alcove tub. The Bootz had a 1 1/2" space below and together with a cut in the 1 1/2 " subfloor was enough for the tub drain. The Kaldewei only has about 1/2 inch space below if at all - so will need a cut in the subfloor as well as the 4x6 joist below to connect the Kohler 1 1/2" drain which needs about 2 1/4 inch space below the tub.

1. Are there narrower tub drains than 1 1/2 inch that will do the job ... like a 1" drain so I don't need to notch the joist.
2. Is it better to find a less preferred (MAAX Rubix ) tub that has about 1" below so together with the subfloor cut, I'll avoid notching the joist.

Thank You.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
1) Pretty sure no.

2) Yes, you don't want to notch a 4x6 joist by 3/4". I assume these are on 48" centers?

Or you could build up the subfloor an addition 3/4" under the tub to avoid notching the joist. You'd just have to figure out a way to finish the build-up if it's exposed, and deal with the higher step over.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Might be able to raise the tub without Raising the floor raise tub 1/4 inch if you've got 3/8 flooring the tub will not have a gap under the apron then perhaps a 1/2 inch notch. If on ground floor you might be able to beef up the joist?
I think there are factors span between joists, where the notch would be in the span between bearing walls, other things too I'd ask someone with lots of experience in structure like my brother 38 years in framing and home construction . anyone who has framed many remodels on old houses .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks