No vertical room for a Standard P-Trap, is Running Trap permitted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lehighlager

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on how to plumb a floor drain where there is not much vertical distance between the top of the floor drain and the existing waste pipe.

plumb-diagram-small.jpg

I've included a diagram of what I want to do, labeled A. Basically the trap would be in-line with the 3-inch waste pipe (waste pipe of course slanted down 1/4 inch per foot). I think that this used to be called a running trap and I know they are no longer o.k. for an entire house, but could they be used for a single "fixture". If not allowed, what is the minimum clearance needed from top of drain to start of P-trap?

As an auxilliary question, if this type of running trap for single fixture were permitted, what are the clean out requirements, i.e., how far can the clean out be away from the trap and what (if any) direction change in the 3 inch pipe is permitted? Thanks much.

Diagram B just shows what a normal P-trap would look like in this situation if there were enough vertical space.

Reach4

Reaction score
I many floor drains have integral traps. I think you are saying those require too much depth under the bowl.

white-oatey-drains-drain-parts-427242-64_100.jpg

While your running trap idea seems ok to me if the distance of the pipe from input to trap is not too much. I am not a pro.

Last edited:

Lehighlager

Reaction score
I many floor drains have integral traps. I think you are saying those require too much depth under the bowl.

white-oatey-drains-drain-parts-427242-64_100.jpg

While your running trap idea seems ok to me if the distance of the pipe from input to trap is not too much. I am not a pro.

I tried to simplify the drawing. My application is actually a trench drain where the waste exit is in line with the end of the drain (i.e., threre is absolutely no vertical drop at all at the exit end of the trench drain and no room at all for a p-trap integrated right at the connection).

You photo is interesting though, it seems to show the exit of the p-trap at the same level as the inlet, which is exactly what I want to do. Seems promising. Thanks for the reply!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks