New Submersible Well Pump not building enough pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Sayno2mornings

Reaction score
So we have very hard water. Learned most of our plumbing skills by trial and error. Here's my issue. We installed a new .5HP submersible well pump. It will not build up pressure above like 16-17psi. Pressure tank is only 3 weeks old so that's not it. Bought a new 20/40 Pressure switch today, still same issue. Ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
So we have very hard water. Learned most of our plumbing skills by trial and error. Here's my issue. We installed a new .5HP submersible well pump. It will not build up pressure above like 16-17psi. Pressure tank is only 3 weeks old so that's not it. Bought a new 20/40 Pressure switch today, still same issue. Ideas?
How far down is the pump? How far down is the top of the water?

Do you have more info on the pump, such a gpm rating or brand and model?

Sayno2mornings

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply...it's been exhausting. We know the pump is working because it's holding water in the downpipe which makes it next to impossible for just my husband and I to lift out now... Btw we have a well pit if that matters

Attachments

• received_10155249313910186.jpeg
    received_10155249313910186.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 339

Reach4

Reaction score
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-0-5-HP-Stainless-Steel-Submersible-Well-Pump/3087299 is a 1/2 HP 10 GPM pump. That should be able to pump much better than what you are getting.
This is a table of how many GPM a similar pump of a different brand should be able to provide from various depths into various PSIs.

So even if we use 80 ft to allow for pit depth and maybe another floor, the pump should be readily able to provide over 50 PSI.

Now if your pump were a 1/2 HP 15 gallon pump, that would be a different story. It might have numbers similar to what you see.

IMG_4.png

Sayno2mornings

Reaction score
Right so I don't get why we don't get enough pressure. We get like 17psi MAX. And that is after 5-10 min of screwing with the pressure switch. (Which we replaced today just in case the short cycling of the old pump made it go bad)

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Will the pressure stay when you turn off the pump if you are not using water in the house?
If not, I would set the air precharge to maybe 5 PSI or even zero. Then turn on the pump to get the pressure up to 16 or 17 PSI. Then turn off the pump. What happens to the pressure. Does it stay? If it drops, how fast?

What is that about? If the pressure does not hold, there could be a hole in the pipe down the well.

Do set the precharge air back up once you fix things before you power the pump. You don't want the pump pumping water pressure a whole lot higher than 24 psi higher than the air precharge.

2. If that holds, measure the voltage at the pressure switch of the voltage going to the pump. It it about 24o volts? If so that is not it. If you measure about 120, maybe you have a "230 volt" pump. Check your records.

Last edited:

Sayno2mornings

Reaction score
If the pump is off and no water is being used in the house, that pressure holds.

The pressure tank is set at 18psi for the 20/40 switch.

We JUST pulled the pump up again. Pump is clean, but feels warm to the touch though everything is covered in water. I will check the voltage but the book says it's 115V (utilitech model#UT200).

Sayno2mornings

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the whole system when we FIRST pulled it yesterday

Attachments

• 20171106_154556.jpg
    20171106_154556.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 335
  • 20171106_154514.jpg
    20171106_154514.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 369

Reach4

Reaction score
Based on the info, I think the pump needs replacing. I would do one last voltage check at the output of the pressure switch, but that is unlikely to be the problem.

If that pump is new, you must have a lot of iron. Clean it up, and see if they will swap it out under warranty.

Looking at the iron, I would get a lab water test and probably look at adding some water treatment stuff if your budget permits.

Even if you decide to not do that water treatment stuff, I would sanitize after getting the new pump in and working. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my writeup on that.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am sure they will just give you another pump. Nobody at that store knows how to check one anyway. You can put that pump in a barrel and test it before putting it in the well. If it won't build to 50-60 in the barrel, it surely won't work in the well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks