New shower door; tub has 12-inch raised ledge at back end. Write big check to custom glass cutters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Confoozled

Reaction score
Hi All - appreciate any help. Wife said "go work on your son's shower" (he's 16 - I avoid his bathroom). Then she says, "Hey, I hate dealing with his moldy shower curtain. Why don't you hang some shower doors?"

In the photo "shower-tub", you can see I've got a raised ledge at the back end about 12 inches deep. The tub length up to the ledge is the usual 59.5 inches.

If I try to use a standard cheap framed sliders, I'll have to leave that ledge space open at the back, and won't have wall to secure the vertical side post part of the frame on that end. I've looked at all the posts here discussing shower doors and probably 500 images on Home Depot and Amazon thinking maybe I'd find things of a regular width plus having another panel like a sidelight on a home's front door, but no luck.

Any thoughts on how to fill this gap? Or if I left it open and just skipped the left-hand vertical, would that work? (I suspect it'd be too unstable.)

Another option might be to get a glass shop to custom cut around the ledge, like in the second photo "customcut", but I assume that'll cost a lot more than getting a $400 pre-fab set from HD.

Thanks if anyone has any ideas.

Shower-Tub.jpg
customcut_LI (2).jpg

Confoozled

Reaction score
Bummer. But many thanks as always, Terry. Especially for taking the time to read and comment on a Sunday night!

Edit - here's a thought (maybe a bad one). Build up a "wall" from the ledge using 12" glass bricks. Five of them would bring the height up to the header bar of the shower doors. Mount the shower door wall channel to the glass block wall. I've got glass bits but would need an expander that expands only inside the brick, not in the hole in the glass itself.

Just sort of thinking out loud at this point.

Last edited:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
If it it was me, I would do one of three things:
- Delegate the cleaning of the shower to the 16 Y/O (recommended solution).
- Clean the shower curtain myself (I took this approach for school lunches)
- Buy cheap shower curtains that you can turf when they get moldy.

Confoozled

Reaction score
Handyman, thanks, all good common sense suggestions. The wife would be fine if I explained the reasons for just staying with the shower curtain. She's a sensible sort.

The problem is now that I've started looking at this, I've gotten gotten myself invested in the notion of fixing it and don't want to let go...

Adrian Tafel

Reaction score
In fact, delegating the cleaning of the shower to your 16-year-old offspring would be a great solution. After all, it's time for him to grow up and bear some responsibility, isn't it? As for your specific problem, I will not be able to advise you anything in this regard. Because I'm not really good at plumbing. But I can say for sure that you can find a great veneer oak doors with the help of a specialized website. I am sure that you will definitely succeed.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks