New Shallow Pump Rapid Cycling... Very Loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pirwin21

Reaction score
I recently replaced the pressure tank and well pump on a shallow well. I put in a 1/2 hp Everbilt pump with a 6 gallon tank (it's supposed to function like a 15 gallon tank). From the start, the pump was abnormally loud. Shortly thereafter, the pump began rapid cycling every 20-30 seconds, even when no water was being used. The shallow well is old, but has plenty of water. The plumbing is galvanized and I suspect that the issue is that is has rusted to the point that it's not letting enough water volume through to satisfy the pump. Does this sound right or am I missing something that doesn't require me to have to try and clean or repair the galvanized pipes?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have a foot valve down the well, it is probably leaking.

A foot valve is a check valve combined with an intake screen.

If there is no foot valve, then there needs to be a check valve in the intake path.

Pirwin21

Reaction score

If there is no foot valve, then there needs to be a check valve in the intake path.
I am unsure if there is a foot valve, but there is definitely a check valve that is located before the pump and tank. Would there be a need for both?

Pirwin21

Reaction score
That is comparing a captive air tank to a hydro-pneumatic tank, not two captive air tanks. The tank is likely too small.
Is it possible to add a tank into the system, rather than completely eliminating what I already have installed?

Pirwin21

Reaction score

Also, would this make sense for why the pump is running so loud? Sorry for all the questions. I know just enough to get myself into situations like this.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is it possible to add a tank into the system, rather than completely eliminating what I already have installed?
Post a picture of how it is installed. A second tank would need to be very close with large diameter piping. Also, assume the pressure sense line is directly on the pump. It would probably work better to move the sense line to the larger tank's Tee.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Also, would this make sense for why the pump is running so loud?
Loudness of the pump could be due to a suction leak or cavitation due to low water table. Everbilt has many models and you don't mention model. A cast iron pump would not be as loud as a plastic one.

Bannerman

Reaction score
To continue using a small 6-gallon tank (only ~1.5 gallons drawdown) without an additional pressure tank, simply add a Cycle Stop Valve such as the CSV1-A linked below. Not only will the CSV eliminate cycling under normal use, but your household will experience constant pressure to faucets. Of course, you will need to remidy your water supply and noise issue regardless.

CSV 1-A

CSV Homepage

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks