New House - Water issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Dustin T

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum and well ownership. Just purchased a new place about a month ago and feel it is time to dial in the water issues we've been having. Most notably Iron and Hydrogen Sulfide (and a little hardness). I've spent the last week trying to educate myself, but feel like I need a little guidance at this point on what the best setup would be (within a reasonable budget).

Existing system:
5800 sq ft house, 6 bath / 7 people (3 kids/4 adults) including my inlaws in an attached appartment.

7GPM goulds pump, pressure tank, Water softener w/Fleck 5600 timer control valve with a 12 x 52" tank.

Our septic/well inspection had a limited water test from a faucet after the softener, but here were the results:
pH: 7.1
Turbidity: 41.6 NTU
Iron: .55 mg/L
No bacteria

After we moved in, we immediately noticed the sulfur smell and staining in the toilets, fixtures etc from the iron. The 5600 also leaks a little during the backwash cycle, figure failing seal in the piston. We had a local water company come out and take a look at the system and quote me $4800 for a new softener and pressure tank (WX203) has a small pinhole leak that sealed itself. Has a hollow sound when filling, the water guy said the bladder had failed. I'm leaning towards putting in a VFD controller and eliminating the large pressure tank and 40/60 switch. But back to the water...

Water guy tested before softener and Iron was at 3ppm, Hardness 10 gpg and pH 7.5.

I'm pretty handy having remodeled several houses in the past, so I plan to do the install myself. Just not sure the best course of action.

1. Well / Aquavar 1AS15 controller

2. Chlorinator or Hydrogen peroxide for Sulfer smell? Any recommendations? static mixer only or do i need a contact tank?

3. Discountwatersofteners - 80K Genesis 2 Iron Pro Max All in One Water Softener/Iron Filter (kinda spendy though @ $1738?) Am I better having a separate softener and Iron filter? if so, which kind?

4. Use my old 2cf tank/5600 valve (converted to backwash only) as a carbon filter on a 3 day backwash cycle.

1" piping between all.

I came across the KL filters but was concerned that at only 7gpm I would have issues on the backwash (no plans to replace the well pump yet, though I do want to future proof the system in case we do upgrade in the future).

Any thoughts or recommendations on the above? please feel free to tell me that it won't work, garbage plan, etc, you certainly WON'T hurt my feelings.

Thank you in advance!!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I will send you a PM, I don't like to speak poorly of certain companies equipment...

In general, a separate iron filter is highly recommended. For the H2s issue, have you confirmed it is on the hot and cold and not just the hot side?

Bobby

Reaction score
If you have hydrogen sulfide the Iron Pro Max will only remove hardness and iron, but the odor. Read the customer support reviews for that company. There is none. They are online marketing and sales only. Low quality products too. Separate iron filter and softener are the way to go. Stick to Clack and Fleck. Genesis is garbage in a nice package.

Reach4

Reaction score
We had a local water company come out and take a look at the system and quote me $4800 for a new softener and pressure tank (WX203) has a small pinhole leak that sealed itself.
That doesn't sound like a failed pressure tank.

The separate iron+H2S filter is best.

While considering options, you could sanitize your well and plumbing. It can help with H2S for a while. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/

The old softener could be improved by treating the resin with Iron Out, and the injector and injector screen could be cleaned. Softeners don't treat H2S, but well and WH sanitizing can have a good effect.

Skyjumper

Reaction score
Read the customer support reviews for that company. There is none. They are online marketing and sales only. Low quality products too. Separate iron filter and softener are the way to go. Stick to Clack and Fleck. Genesis is garbage in a nice package.

discount water softeners dot com is my local Clack dealer. They installed my system 8 years ago. 28gpg hardness, 3ppm Fe at the time, and iron bacteria. they installed a Fleck 5000 based AIO with carbon media on a 3 day backwash cycle, and a Clack 48k softener programmed for 1,680 gals service water. it was something like $2200 installed for the set. about 3 months later we had brown water. they told me to add salt to the salt tank. At that point I knew I was on my own and never bothered to call them again. 8 years later and a sh*t ton of advice from this forum I am still using both units, but the AIO now has KL, has been rebuilt at least 12 times, is cleaned with bleach every 6 weeks, and backwashes nightly. the Softener has new seal pack, inejctor, resin and programmed for 900 gals & 12lb salt.

our water is delightful, and that's 98% due to the Clack softener which is an absolute stalwart despite the clowns that installed it.

to add insult to injury, dws dot com hides the Clack unit and pushes Genesis. How do they still have their deal with Clack?

Ferdekalen

Reaction score
It sounds like you've had quite the journey with your water softener and filtration system!

It's great to hear that the Clack softener has been a reliable workhorse for you, even though you've faced some challenges. The community here seems to have been a valuable resource for you in keeping things up and running.

On another note, if you ever need assistance or advice on a different topic like mortgages, you might want to get in touch with a Mortgage Broker in Taunton. They can offer expert insights on home financing and help you make informed decisions.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks