New Construction, 3/4" PEX, How big holes thru the joists?

Users who are viewing this thread

RJick

Reaction score
I am building a one story house in Oregon. The floor joists are 2x8's and are spaced 16" OC and there is a kitchen and only one bath.
I drilled one and a quarter inch holes in the center of the joists where the 3/4" PEX needs to go but I don't know if the holes are so big the pipe will flop around. Does anyone know what the code says?

Also, is one of the ways of crimping better than the others?

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
One inch holes if making new holes, but 1.25 inch is going to be OK for horizontal.

Also, is one of the ways of crimping better than the others?
Did you buy your PEX pipe already?

Crimping and clamping are two inexpensive methods, and expansion rings are a third method that can only be used with some PEX. Elaborate on your question. There may be tool calibration required with crimp or clamp.

Last edited:

RJick

Reaction score
I have already bought the pex but I have not got the crimps or tool yet. A friend will let me borrow his
crimper but I don't mind buying one if it will improve connections. I have done a lot with PVC and copper
and even pex but when I used the pex I used the Sharkbite connections.

I got the pex at Lowes and got a roll of the white 3/4" and 2, 20' sticks of the each of the red and blue.

Reach4

Reaction score
A friend will let me borrow his
crimper but I don't mind buying one if it will improve connections.
He should also have a Go/No-Go Gauge to lend you too. Read up on how to use that.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
On holes for water pipe I drill 1 3/8 holes and use " Trisulaters" they are knock ins that insulate the pipe from noise transmission and support /hold it well reducing water hammer and prevent contact on wood that could cause wear on pipe. Whether copper or plastic I generaly drill same size hole 1/2 ,3/4 ,and 1 inch. unless structuraly like a king stud or something I am concerned with

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1-3/8" fits up to 1" and also fits the pipe insulators you can use, both insert and winged.

pipe-insulators.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Uponor says "Grommets are required when installing PEX pipe in steel-stud applications.". I find no comment on wood studs or joists.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Standard construction practice here are 1 3/8 holes not just for the high quality job thats the size drill a plumber uses not 1 1/4 not 1 inch but 1 3/8 hole all day long a plumber has 3 bits 1 3/8 , 2 1/8 and 2 9/16 you use these bits 1000 holes befor you ever need another size on house plumbing. That said its not the only way just the way plumbers do it everytime ! Diy and handymen could vary

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Insulated suspension clamps would work with your existing 1 1/4" holes if you don't want to mess around making them 1 3/8".

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
nothing wrong at all with a smaller hole like mr tee said suspension clamps will work fine. I just was saying for me and most pros do the other size.
technicaly the smaller hole is better.
Jadnashua, good advice keep eyes open pulling pipe across nails or sharp wood .

EJ3

Reaction score
With joists at 16" OC, would it be reasonable to use an insert or winged insulator at every other joist?

Of course the joists without the fitting would be an oversized hole so the pipe would not touch the wood.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks