New American Standard Cadet 3 elongated is 3" off the wall

Users who are viewing this thread

HC

Reaction score
Hi,
My newly installed toilet is 3" off the wall and I am trying to decide if the look will drive me crazy.
There appears to be a joist very near to the drain. Would I be better off with a different toilet? Is there any "play" in the installation of this toilet. Thank you in advance for any advice. This forum has been extremely helpful in the past.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
It's simple, someone roughed it in wromg, unless you change the toilet flange there is little you can do with it. The only way to fix that is to change the joist location. If you leave it 3in. off the wall it will drive you nuts! :eek:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
With the Cadet 3, what you see, is what you get. , Unless you re-plumb the floor flange

There is no play.

Toto, however, will have different options to get the toilet closer to the wall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
toilet_14_rough2.jpg

Toto on the Left and A/S Cadet on the right.
Notice how much leg space you can get with a Toto compared to a Cadet 3
Now we compare the leg room.
On the left, the TOTO Soiree with 14" Unift adpapter.
On the right, the Cadet 3
The TOTO wins the Race for Space.

Just so you know, we took out the Cadet and replaced it with a Toto.
The Cadet takes up more space in a bathroom.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Maybe you installed a 10" rough in toilet on a 12" RI flange...check the box...

HC

Reaction score
Thank you for all your time. I double checked the box and it is a 12" rough. My husband mentioned a "curved" flange as a possible solution?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sure, if you want to use a standard 12" rough toilet, just move the drain in the floor.

For the same money, you could also get something that works in that location, and have an upgrade too.

For what you are asking about, the offset flange, you will need to pull the toilet, and see how much of the floor joist will need to be removed so you can squeeze 1.5" more inches out.
It's a lot of work so for so little gain.
I'm guessing that it was even slightly doable, it would have been done that way the first time.

My guess on having a plumber move a flange 1.5"?
$300 to $1500
So much depends on your situation, and how much the plumber will know, and how much you will pay for that knowledge.

I'm not a big fan of moving a flange, unless you can easily bring it exactly to the correct spot.
It's just too easy to move a bowl with other brands.
Moving a bowl takes me 10 minutes
Moving a flange can take hours.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks