Need help dialing in settings on Navien NCB240E

Users who are viewing this thread

Seth Rieder

Reaction score
I am curious what the best settings for my system would be as the installer has been less than helpful. This is our second winter here and after heating the house last year with the in floor it didn’t like to keep up in the very back corner of our house which happens to be the master bedroom. I have 3 difference zones of in floor heat. So this year I am trying a different approach, I have installed three new thermostats with floor sensors and have been running the floor set to 70 degrees(just to keep it from getting uncomfortably cold on your feet)and doing the main heating with our furnace. I turned off the outdoor sensor, I guess because in my head it didn’t make sense to use that when I am sensing the the floor temperature and not the air temperature anymore. Can anybody give me some tips on the ideal settings for this thing? Or any ideas of how I can better set this up to run as efficiently as possible? I was happy with its performance last year and am sure it is able to run more efficiently then our trane furnace which is a 93% efficiency model… except for the zone that covers the master bed which seemed to always run 1-2 degrees under set temp and never seemed to shut off on very cold days. Thanks for the help!

Seth

Fitter30

Reaction score
Water temp should run 5-10* over setpoint. Model and brand of thermostats. Outdoor sensor for reset not necessary. What are the floors made of and coverings?

Seth Rieder

Reaction score
Water temp should run 5-10* over setpoint. Model and brand of thermostats. Outdoor sensor for reset not necessary. What are the floors made of and coverings?
The thermostats are Honeywell T6 Pro Hydronic thermostats(TH6100AF2004) floors are all concrete. 90% of our covering is tile, the other 10 percent is laminate.

Seth Rieder

Reaction score
Manual on thermostat
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...wQFnoECAkQAg&usg=AOvVaw2DGq6WqS_CP1kz7BH_jGY3

look at page 7
129 floor sensor 1 wired 0 none
205- 10
299 - 1 air &floor
Page 8
370 - 1
425 - 1
Thermostats wired to a boiler control? If so brand and model.

The settings I have are below:
129 floor sensor 1
205- 10
299 - 3 floor only
Page 8
370 - 3
425 - 0(1 not an option with floor only)

The thermostats are wired to a TAC SR503-4 3 zone switching relay. I guess i'm not sure if thats what you're asking for when referring to the "boiler control".

I am more so concerned with the boiler settings, More than the thermostat settings.

Thanks for the response!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Set your floor to be 85 degrees. Anything cooler than your skin temp (85 degrees) is going to feel cold. Your air shouldn't get to 85 only the floor.

Cold 70 is the effect when your walking down the freezer isle at the grocery store. The air in that isle is 70, but your body is throwing heat at the cold freezers so it feels cold.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Forgive me for my lack of competence when it comes to these but I believe this unit has an internal control
Something has to turn boiler on and off. It's 65* outside temp no zone needs heat ,pumps keep running and boiler is satisfied off? Using domestic hot water need something to prioritized dhw shut heating off while dhw is running. Zone valves and pumps follow the wires where do they end up. Take some pics of boiler and valves and pumps.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fitter is right. The outdoor reset just preempts the boiler based onthr outdoor temp, that way your not trying to keep up. Your starting ahead of the house actually cooling, instead of working from behind.

Seth Rieder

Reaction score
Something has to turn boiler on and off. It's 65* outside temp no zone needs heat ,pumps keep running and boiler is satisfied off? Using domestic hot water need something to prioritized dhw shut heating off while dhw is running. Zone valves and pumps follow the wires where do they end up. Take some pics of boiler and valves and pumps.
I apologize this is the only photo I have at the moment. Can certainly take more after I get home from work later. But I’m fairly certain that this unit senses the call for DHW and prioritizes that above the heating all internally… the thermostats come directly into the 3 zone control which then runs into the boiler

Attachments

• 2B6305E3-2ABE-4316-BF9B-29FE047D1023.png
    2B6305E3-2ABE-4316-BF9B-29FE047D1023.png
    156.6 KB · Views: 158

Seth Rieder

Reaction score
I apologize this is the only photo I have at the moment. Can certainly take more after I get home from work later. But I’m fairly certain that this unit senses the call for DHW and prioritizes that above the heating all internally… the thermostats come directly into the 3 zone control which then runs into the boiler

upload_2021-11-16_7-47-49.png

Fitter30

Reaction score
Combi only has one set of termials T/T to energize heating dhw works on flow switch. There needs to be a controller to control the pumps, boiler with inputs from thermostats. Outdoor reset needs outdoor temp sensor with radiate floor heat isn't used very much since temp runs 5-10* over thermostat setpoint. Just one brand of a controller.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-SR503-4-3-Zone-Switching-Relay

Seth Rieder

Reaction score
Combi only has one set of termials T/T to energize heating dhw works on flow switch. There needs to be a controller to control the pumps, boiler with inputs from thermostats. Outdoor reset needs outdoor temp sensor with radiate floor heat isn't used very much since temp runs 5-10* over thermostat setpoint. Just one brand of a controller.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-SR503-4-3-Zone-Switching-Relay
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are asking? But the link you just sent, Is what we have installed as I mentioned above.

Fitter30

Reaction score
There it is mounted high a taco control. Can't read the numbers but it takes the thermostat closer to call for the boiler side. Need to look at settings at each thermostat what i setting to look at. The company that installed your system it its very good. Lets take baby steps in changes. Raise water temp 2*. Wait 6 hours. Write every change down. Radiate floors lots of mass takrs hours for change.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it's pretty simple. Go back to the outdoor reset and set your water temp at 95. Check with a gauge to see if your floor warms to 85. If it does your done. You shouldn't need the scorched air unless your radiant system wasn't sized for the structure.

Seth Rieder

Reaction score
I think it's pretty simple. Go back to the outdoor reset and set your water temp at 95. Check with a gauge to see if your floor warms to 85. If it does your done. You shouldn't need the scorched air unless your radiant system wasn't sized for the structure.
So turn the outdoor reset back on. And then instead of using the “high mass radiant” factory settings, I’ll have to do custom which wants me to set supply and return temps I believe…. I should set the supply temp to 85, Correct?

Seth Rieder

Reaction score
There it is mounted high a taco control. Can't read the numbers but it takes the thermostat closer to call for the boiler side. Need to look at settings at each thermostat what i setting to look at. The company that installed your system it its very good. Lets take baby steps in changes. Raise water temp 2*. Wait 6 hours. Write every change down. Radiate floors lots of mass takrs hours for change.
It is a TAC SR503-4 3 zone

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks