Need 2nd (& 3rd) Opinions on leak location/cause-

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbStuck

Reaction score
I recently noticed my wall paint bubbling and while the 'bubble' was not filled with water (it was the drywall texturing), the actual drywall was damp to touch and there was growth of some sort beginning to form on wall so I knew that meant leak and I called someone out. For reference, the wall in question is on the first floor but it is the same wall that the upstairs bathroom has and the toilet is directly above this spot.

The guy came out and cut out a square of drywall which exposed the sewer drain from above. He flushed the toilet and a bunch of water came down the outside of the tube so he said its the wax seal under toilet that needs replacing.

That made sense... until I had the genius idea last night to see what happens when I dump water down the shower and the sink too. All 3 (sink, toilet, and tub/shower) make water come shooting down the outside of that tube. So my questions is, would that still be the seal causing that or is it more likely that the spot where those 3 come together is the issue? Isn't that something he probably would/should have thought about being the cause too? I did call the company he works for to ask him but there hasn't been a response yet so I thought I would check in here in the meantime..

Is there any tell tale signs that it would be one or the other of those situations? (thats probably wishful thinking, I know!)

Thanks in advance!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
No he shouldnt have known, its a common cause but a poor assumption even if thats the cause 75 percent of time. But was he a plumber? why hire a guy to remove a piece of drywall? You need a plumber to fix the leak, probebly cracked or bad glue joint above cut out more drywall. water "shooting Down" should be simple to find source. should have found the cause in a minute cut out more sheet rock

PlumbStuck

Reaction score
He was a plumber, yes. As to why he didn't cut out more drywall, I assume because he had determined that the water was from a bad seal and there was no reason for further investigating? I don't really know and am waiting to ask him that myself.

He didn't fix it though because I am already mid remodel on a different part of my house and have all the necessary supplies to fix the wall and can do the wax ring myself so I said not to bother. I just don't know much about plumbing in the walls. And because the draining items are upstairs, but the 'wet' wall is downstairs, I don't know where the best place would be to start my hunt- in the bathroom wall or near the ceiling on the first floor.... With the way the rest of this house stuff has been going I wouldn't be surprised if the leak was smack dab in the middle of the 2 floors, lol, and I have to tear out the wall/ceiling/floor to reach it..

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
water travels down hill , runs down pipe, common occurance its not always a no brainer. I dont want to discourage but open it up find and fix if nothing else get it all prepared for plumber to fix by exposing the issue .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks