Navien 240A: Turning off/disabling NaviCirc pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

CG ANderson

Reaction score
Hello. I am turning to the group because I am a bit puzzled as to how to go about disabling my NaviCirc unit. Here's the backstory...

We've had the NPE-240A for about three years. When they installed it, I had them place a NaviCirc pump under the upstairs bathroom sink in the mistaken belief it would get hot water to the adjacent shower faster. Because of the odd plumbing in our log home, that didn't work. All the NaviCirc is good for is getting hot water to the sink, as well as ensuring you get lukewarm water from the cold tap. Then it began making the curious "WHOOOOP!" sound whenever it did its thing under the sink. To the point it drives me crazy.

We also have the NaviLink. I had (I thought) it scheduled (the NaviCirc that is) to come on at about 0400AM and go off about 0800AM. I disabled scheduling in the app thinking that would make the NaviCirc stop whooping. That did not work. It still makes the sound. Funny thing, it seems to do it all the time now. I thought the scheduling controlled its functioning, but I digress.

Rather than replace the NaviCirc, can I simply disable it? Or otherwise turn it off so it doesn't make that horrid WHOOOP sound? If this is possible, can I just leave the NaviCirc pump in place and simply forget about it? Currently, my INT/EXT valve is set to INT. The DIP switches are all OFF except for #2 and the last 2 to the far right. I think. It's hard to say. Maybe it's the opposite? Anyway, I have attached images.

I admit I am unsure how to undo what they did when they installed it. Do you all have any suggestions? Thanks!

PXL_20220226_171729698-01.jpeg
PXL_20220226_172315167-01.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
NavCirc is not a pump, just a device that mixes. It can only work if the piping on the NPE A series was done correctly.
If the lever is at 6:00, that is set for EXT so to turn off external, move lever to INT, and that will keep it circulating inside the unit to the mini-tank.
Dip Switch for internal circulation is 1=ON, everything else: OFF. Those pair of switches on the far right should be down in OFF unless (1 is for normal vent, not cascade vent with multiple units). the second switch is ON if you have Propane gas.
Call Navien when you get a chance to confirm

CG ANderson

Reaction score
NavCirc is not a pump, just a device that mixes. It can only work if the piping on the NPE A series was done correctly.
If the lever is at 6:00, that is set for EXT so to turn off external, move lever to INT, and that will keep it circulating inside the unit to the mini-tank.
Dip Switch for internal circulation is 1=ON, everything else: OFF. Those pair of switches on the far right should be down in OFF unless (1 is for normal vent, not cascade vent with multiple units). the second switch is ON if you have Propane gas.
Call Navien when you get a chance to confirm

Breplum: Thanks for the nomenclature explanation! The piping is exact for use with the NaviCirc, which I am certain of. So turning the lever to INT will negate the use of the NaviCirc? I will change DIP 1 to ON and DIP 2 to OFF. Both the far right are correct ON for my system.

Are there any changes that need to be made internally in the computer?

Thank you. Chris

Breplum

Reaction score
Why does the far right pair have SW1 on? It would only be on if you had twin Naviens sharing a common PVC vent.
Send a pic of the piping for recirc at your WH. There should be a tee on the cold supply piped into the recirc tap and a check valve. I have seen these done wrong many times.
You also need to reset the parameters related to the bypass valve. I would venture it was never set up properly in the first place...but that's just me who has seen so much bad work from people who seem to not be able to read.

CG ANderson

Reaction score
Why does the far right pair have SW1 on? It would only be on if you had twin Naviens sharing a common PVC vent.
Send a pic of the piping for recirc at your WH. There should be a tee on the cold supply piped into the recirc tap and a check valve. I have seen these done wrong many times.
You also need to reset the parameters related to the bypass valve. I would venture it was never set up properly in the first place...but that's just me who has seen so much bad work from people who seem to not be able to read.

Breplum: You have been very helpful! I have attached a pic of the underbelly of my Navien. Be advised the condensation pipe is missing. It developed a leak and I am repairing it. Fairly certain it is plumbed correctly because I had to come here to get instructions for the installer! They had never before installed a NaviCirc.

So, basically, all I need to do is the opposite of the Navicirc instructions as far as DIP switches and internal parameters, yes?

Now, you have me confused about the last two DIP switches. ON is UP, right? I know #2 is ON for propane. But according to my quick perusal of the instruction manual, I should be ON SW1 because I have an individual vent? We only have one 240 and one vent pipe. I attached some pics.

Again, thank you so much. Chris

PXL_20220228_151144086.jpg
PXL_20220228_155806219.jpg
PXL_20220228_160057160.jpg
PXL_20220226_172315167-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Breplum

Reaction score
all I need to do is the opposite of the Navicirc instructions as far as DIP switches and internal parameters, yes?
I think, Yes.

Please call Navien and clarify with them about the last two pair of DIPs. It does seem that SW 1 should indeed be ON for an individual vent.
I just feel that I remember units shipped with the SW1 off.

CG ANderson

Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up and clear my head on this issue. After my NaviCirc failed (the "whooooP" sound) I decided to "turn it off". I changed P17 to 1.OFF Disable. Then set the two-way valve from EXT back to INT.

Now I could use someone to check my DIPs. According to page 45 of the NPE-240A manual, for INTERNAL RECIRCULATION, DIPs should be 1: ON 2:OFF, 3:OFF. That's how I had them set. Then I did some research on Intelligent Preheating. So to give that a try, I now have them set to 1:ON 2:ON 3:OFF.

Should I stick with just simple recirculation, or play with Intelligent Preheating? I have no remote controller.

Curiously, after making the aforementioned changes, I still experienced the weird sound from the NaviCirc. I guess I thought it would just hang there under the sink dead. So I completely removed it from the system. It never worked the way it was supposed to anyway... CG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks