Name that DWV fitting, side inlet santee

Users who are viewing this thread

ETOH

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in the middle of a Master bathroom remodel which has another full bath directly above it in a finished attic. Once all the walls and ceilings were opened up I ran the water in the attic bath to check the integrity of the plumbing. Found a leak where the drain plumbing enters the stack. The fitting is cast iron. I feel very comfortable with the process of changing out cast to PVC but the fitting that I would be replacing is kind of unique. I will post a picture below. It is 4” cast with a toilet connecting to the 4” inlet, but then there is an inlet on each side on the 4” at around a 45 degree angle which are either 1.5 or 2”. The one to the left of the 4” is where it is leaking. The one to the right has a threaded plug in it like you would see on a clean out but never was or never will be accessible, so I don’t need that in the replacement. I have found a 4x4x4 with a side inlet (attached a pic) which looks like it would work, but wanted to check with the pros first. Any help is well appreciated. Thanks!

CA8C0D62-6ECC-4232-94C0-775BE82542B3.jpeg

side-inlet-santee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks right to me, but I'm not a full time plumber. A couple comments:

- Supplyhouse.com has it cheaper. The relative heights of the two side inlets (4" and 2") look different (unless it's just the angle of your photo), is that going to cause you problems?

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-P416-420-4-PVC-DWV-Sanitary-Tee-w-2-Left-Side-Inlet

- If only the joint is leaking and the cast iron fitting is in good shape, have you considered just redoing the 2" branch in PVC, and using a donut to mate the PVC with the existing 2" cast iron hub?

Cheers, Wayne

ETOH

Reaction score
Looks right to me, but I'm not a full time plumber. A couple comments:

- Supplyhouse.com has it cheaper. The relative heights of the two side inlets (4" and 2") look different (unless it's just the angle of your photo), is that going to cause you problems?

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-P416-420-4-PVC-DWV-Sanitary-Tee-w-2-Left-Side-Inlet

- If only the joint is leaking and the cast iron fitting is in good shape, have you considered just redoing the 2" branch in PVC, and using a donut to mate the PVC with the existing 2" cast iron hub?

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks for the link Wayne.

I hadn't really thought about just replacing the leaky junction. This is the original cast iron stack from a house built in 1925. I figured all cast iron will fail at some point, might as well replace it while everything is opened up. I will not have easy access to it once the bathroom is put back together. Is that sound thinking or no?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is the original cast iron stack from a house built in 1925. I figured all cast iron will fail at some point, might as well replace it while everything is opened up.
Yeah, 95 years is a good run, sounds like it's end of life.

Cheers, Wayne

ETOH

Reaction score
If you can replace the cast, now would be a good time. Also the venting from below should tie in at 42" on the next floor up.

dwv_b2.jpg

Thanks Terry! I have 2 vents running along side the 4" pipe from below that tie into the stack for venting up in the attic. I will double check they are 42" up, but I'm thinking they are. Appreciate the help guys.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks