My wax ring failure

Users who are viewing this thread

Dprocket

Reaction score
Discovered a leak coming from the kids's toilet. Unfortunately, the clue was a small water stain in the living room ceiling.

I took the toilet apart and this is what I found. Looks like the flange is below the level of the tile. What would you recommend?

A flange extender and a jumbo wax ring?

Frog2000

Reaction score
great another Arsenal fan, jk

it might just be the picture but it looks like the tiles aren't flat with the ones around them. I've had this issue and the toilet keeps wobbling until the wax ring broke. If there is ring residue on the bottom of the toilet then just replace the wax and fix the wobble. If there isn't a wax residue circle , get a jumbo ring

Dprocket

Reaction score
Ha! I've suffered for years as a gooner...so life is good right now.

I think the tiles are pretty darn level, but I'll double check in the morning. The flange is definitely sitting a "tiles thickness" below the tile surface. Basically, no adjustment was made to the flange when the tile was put in.

I picked up this kit tonight for install tomorrow. Looks like I won't need any spacers... Just the yellow extension.

Any reason this won't work?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
No reason that shouldn't work. Make sure you read the instructions and before you do anything, clean the old wax and remove the old horn. Set the toilet and make sure there is no wobble before you go about setting anything else.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks