Moving tub and shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Crookeddog

Reaction score
I am re-doing our master bath and took out the tub and want to make one big shower with 2 drains. The original shower drain and the tub drain.
I need to re route them but unsure how to do that correctly. I've added a couple of pics. Thank you for your help. The small red "dots" are where I want the shower drains to end up and the thicker red line is the big pipe that they both flow into. In the vertical picture, the space is just far enough away that the new trap won't get me there.
IMG_6107.jpeg
IMG_6101.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Assuming they were installed to code with those crazy long trap arms that don't appear to have any vents attached. You could simply add a 45 to the trap arm of the bottom photo and new trap to end up under that location and a Long sweep 90 to the trap arm of the top photo with a new 2" trap where it needs to be.

Reach4

Reaction score
This video is to help locate the trap inlet for shower base in concrete, but I think the technique could be good on wood too.

Crookeddog

Reaction score
Assuming they were installed to code with those crazy long trap arms that don't appear to have any vents attached. You could simply add a 45 to the trap arm of the bottom photo and new trap to end up under that location and a Long sweep 90 to the trap arm of the top photo with a new 2" trap where it needs to be.
Thank you for your reply. This plumbing is original to house so I am also assuming to code. I am also assuming that it was vented properly because there have been no issues with that in the past. What it concerning me is that I am now changing this from a separate tub and shower that weren't used at the same time to a shower with two shower heads and drains that will be flowing water at the same time sometimes. But also not sure if that matters.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. This plumbing is original to house so I am also assuming to code. I am also assuming that it was vented properly because there have been no issues with that in the past. What it concerning me is that I am now changing this from a separate tub and shower that weren't used at the same time to a shower with two shower heads and drains that will be flowing water at the same time sometimes. But also not sure if that matters.
Both traps and their trap arms will now be 2" which is the correct size. All plumbing systems that are code compliant are designed for maximum usage. Meaning that even though its unlikely to occur, all systems should be able to be used at the same time without overloading the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks