Moen Shower Cartridge Removal Tool

Users who are viewing this thread

Blue_Bleeder

Reaction score
Website
barrywalter.com
So, my question for the professionals is how much would a plumber have charged to replace this cartridge? I imagine they would have an ONA (Lasco) puller, which would have made this easy, but I didn't want to invest in one.
The original ONA Puller did not work on the 1222 (Posi-temp). We recently came out with an add on tube to rectify this.

Here is the video.

Last edited:

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I found a message that was identical to the problem that I am having. The problem is the reply with the solution was nowhere to be found. The message was from 1998 and they thanked Terry for his help so I know the solution was given. Below is the text of the original post:

Posted by Rick and Christine on May 03, 1998 at 16:21:00:

Terry, Our shower waterflow will not turn fully turn-off. The shower fixture is a Moen with a push/pull handle. we removed the cover and see a brass stem/cartridge, where do we go from here to remove to make repair or replace. The unit has to be over 10 years old. There is a chrome sleeve over the stem.. is the chrome sleeve removable to get to the stem/cartridge.. Thanks for a great service.....
Water turned off in California.

Can someone either point me to the original answer or generate a new one?

Thanks,
Sean

if it's just an easy yank and replace cartridge, most plumbers will replace the cartridge. But if we have to fight with the damned thing, about 100% of us will tell you to do the same thing we'd do at our own house. REPLACE the entire valve and be done with it. Zero-percent chance that I'll spend more than about 15-minutes with a cartridge. It comes out or the valve gets replaced. Just don't have time or patience for the dumb shit.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if it's just an easy yank and replace cartridge, most plumbers will replace the cartridge. But if we have to fight with the damned thing, about 100% of us will tell you to do the same thing we'd do at our own house. REPLACE the entire valve and be done with it. Zero-percent chance that I'll spend more than about 15-minutes with a cartridge. It comes out or the valve gets replaced. Just don't have time or patience for the dumb shit.

Ha Ha yea Michael its hard to be patient but busting holes in tile sometimes need avoiding . I like that though if it aint out in 15 minutes plan b with a big hammer goes in action

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
danco-cartridge-puller-moen-01.jpg

The Danco puller for removing a cartridge from a 1968 Moen Chateau faucet.

danco-cartridge-puller-moen-02.jpg

It pulled it out rather nicely. And yes, I did try pulling with the pliers first.

moen-cartridge-replacement-terrylove-01.jpg

They didn't want the crystal handle I had with me, so I went with the Danco handle replacement. A bit heavy with a new cartridge, but when the cartridge wears in, it will maintain position okay. It's a heavy handle.

I went with the Delta RP5834 tub spout that works well with a 1/2" pipe nipple. I had two different nipple extractors with me and needed them both. It was in there really, really hard.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
nipple-extractor-terrylove-01.jpg

Nipple extractor tool used on a tub spout replacement, the post above this one.

nipple-extractor-terrylove-02.jpg

moen-1200-old-terrylove-01.jpg

Two very old 1200 cartridges.

chateau-handle-terrylove-02.jpg

New cartridge, new handle. The old cartridge was so still that she had pulled the old handle apart.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just wanted to thank all that contributed here over the years on this topic. I've changed 1200 and 1225 cart many times but have fought them too.
I've got a Danco Style puller like Terry pointed out and a Pasco 7040 puller, I don't do them often My second 1 in last year and a half today.
I looked at job a week ago a Moen 1200 trim and handle and other unrelated items handle very stiff trim very old as well. So decided to come prepared and brought a 1/2 inch tap.
Went today pulled trim off and went to use Danco puller to get started and neither the Danco or Pasco would screw in darn it! evidently the screw hole was tapped oversize. So gripped stem with vise grips and pried with channel locks pulled the center right out. BTW couldn't get cartridge to turn at all. proceeding I ran the 1/2 tap as far in as possible then removed tap and slid a hunk of 3/8 bolt that I hacked of I'm guessing 1 3/8 long and ran tap in that old brass came right out. just like suggested .
I wanted to turn it first but was unable but it still came right out . Any way that's my 2 cents happy camper here!

Joseph G

Reaction score
I had to replace a Moen shower cartridge. took out the pin. used the tool. cartridge broke inside the valve. Came to realize the whole thing was plastic, so I took an old screwdriver and I heated it up. melted a groove in the cartridge. got some more out. did this about 3 times before the remaining pieces were so loose they came out easily. cleaned inside really well, installed new cartridge and no issues. I hope this helps someone.

NKaufman

Reaction score
I had to replace a moen shower cartridge. took out the pin. used the tool. cartridge broke inside the valve. Came to realize the whole thing was plastic, so i took an old screwdriver and i heated it up. melted a groove in the cartridge. got some more out. did this about 3 times before the remaining pieces were so loose they came out easily. cleaned inside really well, installed new cartridge and no issues. I hope this helps someone.

will this work for a 1224B faucet cartridge?

Marks Team

Reaction score
Website
www.markspp.com
Highly recommend the Ona tool by Barry Walters it covers the Moentrol and the Posi-Temp. A must have for all plumbers and their tool box. The biggest recommendation I can give is to be considerate for the next plumber. You can save them a world of hurt replacing these cartridges by simply covering this material with a safe for potable water plumbing grease. This will ensure that these parts will produce less build up that may cause these parts to seize to the valve body and cause stubborn replacement.

moen_puller_3.jpg

RifRaf

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread... but just wanted to add my experience with this issue (and resolution).
Several years ago, I had to replace a leaky Moen cartridge shower valve and the "twisting" type tools were not working at all.
Instead of going to the hardware store for a new tool, I just used some available sockets to make a homemade puller.

I just stacked a couple sockets over the valve and screwed a machine bolt into the cartridge. I also installed a nut and a couple of washers to this bolt prior to inserting the bolt thru the sockets... and then installed the bolt into the cartridge. The nut and washers acted as a puller when the bolt was held in a stationary position and the nut was tightened with a wrench (see image below). I also use this same technique when replacing sink cartridges.

1647363274246.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread... but just wanted to add my experience with this issue (and resolution).
Several years ago, I had to replace a leaky Moen cartridge shower valve and the "twisting" type tools were not working at all.
Instead of going to the hardware store for a new tool, I just used some available sockets to make a homemade puller.

I just stacked a couple sockets over the valve and screwed a machine bolt into the cartridge. I also installed a nut and a couple of washers to this bolt prior to inserting the bolt thru the sockets... and then installed the bolt into the cartridge. The nut and washers acted as a puller when the bolt was held in a stationary position and the nut was tightened with a wrench (see image below). I also use this same technique when replacing sink cartridges.
View attachment 82022
Right on works for you! I've got a couple tools and posted my version of pulling broken cartridge I have them in a kit ready to go.

Tom F Ohio

Reaction score
Now if they would come up with a tool that will pull a 2 handle moen cartridge I would be very happy. Tired
of practically pulling my guts out trying to pull these out.

Jsmith2022

Reaction score
I had this problem just before selling our house last year. Now I notice our new house has Moen shower fixtures! 4 pages of posts, wow Moen, do something!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had this problem just before selling our house last year. Now I notice our new house has Moen shower fixtures! 4 pages of posts, wow Moen, do something!
just gotta know the tricks 10 years out of a cartridge isnt uncommon. Ive serviced 40 year old valves and had them good as new

MrAladinLegaspi

Reaction score
That's a good lesson to learn.
Repair all your faucets wheather you think they need it or not. They do need it. Wheather they are Moen or any other brand.
Those outer o-rings on the cartrige just weld themselves to the housing.
The water quality has an affect on that problem too.
It's always a good idea to keep your faucets in good repair, even if they appear to be functioning properly. Over time, even well-made faucets can experience wear and tear that can cause leaks or other issues. This is especially true for the outer o-rings on the cartridge, which can become fused to the housing and cause water to leak out. Water quality can also play a role in this problem, so it's important to make sure that your water supply is clean and free from contaminants. To avoid these issues, it's recommended that you regularly maintain your faucets, checking for any signs of wear or damage and repairing or replacing parts as needed. This can help keep your faucets working properly and avoid costly repairs or water damage in the future.

If you need financial assistance to repair your faucets, you may want to consider applying for a loan from Safeloan.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's always a good idea to keep your faucets in good repair, even if they appear to be functioning properly. Over time, even well-made faucets can experience wear and tear that can cause leaks or other issues. This is especially true for the outer o-rings on the cartridge, which can become fused to the housing and cause water to leak out. Water quality can also play a role in this problem, so it's important to make sure that your water supply is clean and free from contaminants. To avoid these issues, it's recommended that you regularly maintain your faucets, checking for any signs of wear or damage and repairing or replacing parts as needed. This can help keep your faucets working properly and avoid costly repairs or water damage in the future.

If you need financial assistance to repair your faucets, you may want to consider applying for a loan from Safeloan.
Everyone says Safe loan is Bad? You sound like Spam too BTW!

tuba

Reaction score
Get brass outer part of cartridge out?

I hope you have already solved the problem. Years ago, I had the same issue. I had to call Moen and get a live person to help. I found that I had to first put a small wood dowel in. It was just wide enough to fit loosely and maybe 1 inch or so lone. Do not need to be too exact. Then I used a tap to screw into the brass cartridge until the tap bottomed on the back of the fixture. Since the cartidge is a tube with an open end, i kept screwing the tap in and the cartridge was pulled out by the tap. The tap pushes on the dowel which pushes on the back of the fixture without metal to metal contact. Moen did tell me the exact size of dowel and tap I needed.

As I did not own one and it was night time, I had to put the old parts back overnight so that I could turn house water back on. I bought a cheap tap and die set and did the job quickly. I repeated the repair on all the other shower fixtures as they all wore out. The replacement cartridges are plastic and I have had no trouble getting those out.
My Moen shower/tub valve started leaking quite badly in the past 2 days
I did a quick search & found this forum
There is another forum I use - selfhelpforum, but it didn't have as much info as here. I like to find out what I need to do before replacing something. So the instructions here allowed me to pull the old valve & bring it with me to buy the replacement. The old one was stuck a bit, but soon slid out
The instructions with the replacement valve did have decent instructions.

I think the only thing I could add would be to note which side is hot & cold with the old valve installed before removing it. I've been in some houses that for whatever reason the hot & cold were reversed
Also to attach a tube & flush out the lines before installing the new valve

The other thing that I did not know is that without the cold supply on it would not work right? I thought I did something wrong, took it apart - 2x checked. Put it back together - same thing. Re-installed the old valve - same thing. Flushed out the line again, re-installed the new valve. Then started thinking....turned both shut-off valves on
Working great - no more leaks
It's amazing that even a small drip can waste 4-5 gallons a day of water

I have a new steam shower I'll be working on later this year
So I may be back
Thanks for the help
This is very informative I had a similar problem and it got solved by implementing solutions given here.

I recently bought an amazing kitchen faucet but sadly i wasn't satisfied with my plumber but thanks to you all it's all fixed now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks