Moen Kitchen Faucet Leaking Under Cabinet

Users who are viewing this thread

moflow

Reaction score
I have a Moen One Handle Pullout Kitchen Faucet installed new in 2018. Unfortunately I can't find the exact model number even though I have the original instructions (instructions # INS10601B 2/18). Here is the issue:

After trouble free service for 4.5 years, discovered water on kitchen floor, then in cabinets. Turned off house water, then ruled out dishwasher supply line, dishwasher discharge, and drain pipes as cause. Leak is inside or underneath the Moen faucet.

What can I do to diagnose the leak? I've had cartridges go bad, but only caused dripping faucets, not puddles in the kitchen. Moen is always good about sending parts, but I am at a loss to find out what is going on and to find out if a plumber is required or something got loose that shouldn't be loose.

Thank goodness someone was home and noticed it relatively quickly. This could have been much worse. Under sink shut offs are holding so was able to turn rest of house water back on in meantime. Thanks!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
You need tools, but once procured, you might find the slightly common issue with the nut under the handle that it needs tightening.
Of course, the lifetime warranty cartridges only last 4.4 years in your part of the country anyway (joking)..

moflow

Reaction score
It appears that the problem was that simple, the 13/16" nut under the handle had worked its way loose. (!) Not sure if it was never tightened properly by the contractor, or if it was properly tight and worked its way loose. I had the gray plastic "socket" that came with faucet and used that to make it snug. Voila.

Moen support said I should install a new cartridge in case it is damaged and ordered me one.
The cartridge instructions are a bit ambiguous, it first says there is no clip anymore but then the steps include installing a clip.
I didn't see a clip while the handle was off, but will check again after cartridge arrives.

For now, the water is back on and no leaks. Hopefully there is not damage by the water that got everywhere before it was noticed.

moflow

Reaction score
UPDATE: Installed new cartridge/nut from Moen. The faucet handle is much more stiff to turn hot/cold and raise up/down.
Is this normal for a new cartridge or does that indicate the cartridge nut is too tight?

I turned it hand tight via the plastic Moen tool, then a 1/4 turn with a screwdriver across the plastic tool for torque.

Moen says 1/4 turn tight after hand tightening, but perhaps they mean hand tighten via your fingers on the nut?
I loosened it ever so slightly, but don't want it to work loose and leak all over the kitchen again. The plastic threads don't turn super smooth, although I did inspect both inner and outer threads and they look okay.

ALSO: Discovered original installer didn't install the hose guide nut that protects the sprayer hose from the metal faucet shank. Not sure if I can get that part, but the hose will eventually fray on the metal, although we don't use it too much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks