Moen 4621--can I replace acrylic teardrop handle with a chrome handle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Emily3

Reaction score
We just moved into a new home, where all the bathroom sinks have the Moen 4621 acrylic teardrop shaped handle. Both kids and elderly parents are having trouble using the sink now (handles are hard for them to use). Is there a way we can replace just the acrylic handle with a lever-style handle kit? (I see that Moen has a 4621 model: https://www.moen.com/products/Moen/Handle-Kit/150625). Just don't know if it's possible to replace, and how hard the replacement would be. Thanks!!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
If you replace the cartridges, even with the plastic cartridges, you'll get nice smooth action again for a while.
It is a cartridge design that is less than optimal as it ages.
Better yet, replace the faucets asap.

Emily3

Reaction score
If you replace the cartridges, even with the plastic cartridges, you'll get nice smooth action again for a while.
It is a cartridge design that is less than optimal as it ages.
Better yet, replace the faucets asap.
Thanks! The problem is grip control (elderly parent's arthritic hands can't get around the knob). Would love to just replace the handle if possible as we are renting; money is tight. Is there a way to replace the handle?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
A new cartridge it will be easy to operate. if you like the condition its not beat up . those work great for years before it gets hard to operate

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's the older Moen 4621, then the 1225 cartridge makes it works smoothly again with little effort. They can get really hard to pull as the years go by. The handle you show doesn't look right though.

moen-4621-parts-1.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Handle looks wrong to me . I'd fix the problem and the problem isn't handle its a stiff cartridge my experience . they last many years , I suppose you might be able to disassemble and regrease I wouldn't bother though

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks