Moen 3940 (Monticello) shower head Disassembly

Users who are viewing this thread

Pete_M

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am trying to disassemble a Moen Monticello 3940 shower head (knob on side for variable stream) and I can't figure out how to do it.
Anybody has any advice how it is done?

PS I have already contacted Moen and although they offered a new shower head (a different model) they are dancing around in providing advice on how to disassemble the 3940.

Thanks
Pete

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't find any information on that part specifially. Just see it as a component part of a whole shower kit. Found one on Ebay.. used. Seems that maybe the white plastic part that holds the rotational ball may be a threaded nut. Maybe it screws in or out to loosed the ball?

Just guessing tho.

1674677756556.png

Pete_M

Reaction score
Should I assume all you professional plumbers are too busy, no one was curious to tear down this shower head, or nobody was smart enough to figure out how it is disassembled??

Pete_M

Reaction score
I can't find any information on that part specifially. Just see it as a component part of a whole shower kit. Found one on Ebay.. used. Seems that maybe the white plastic part that holds the rotational ball may be a threaded nut. Maybe it screws in or out to loosed the ball?

Just guessing tho.

View attachment 90357
The eBay path is my last option to find a used one, cut it in half and figure out how it is put together. The question is how the side rotating button comes out. When the side knob is out the rest is disassembled by pushing from the neck side.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Should I assume all you professional plumbers are too busy, no one was curious to tear down this shower head, or nobody was smart enough to figure out how it is disassembled??
You are the only person who has that showerhead to fool around with, did you think that every plumber on these forums would have one laying around and then go out on a knights errand to reverse engineer it?

We are also smart enough not to waste time attempting to fix a showerhead which Moen offered to replace. I bill out at hundreds of dollars per hour, no customer of mine would even think of asking me to spend my time and their money repairing a 20yr old out of date showerhead.

Messing around with an old showerhead is a labor of love.. good luck.

Pete_M

Reaction score
You are the only person who has that showerhead to fool around with, did you think that every plumber on these forums would have one laying around and then go out on a knights errand to reverse engineer it?

We are also smart enough not to waste time attempting to fix a showerhead which Moen offered to replace. I bill out at hundreds of dollars per hour, no customer of mine would even think of asking me to spend my time and their money repairing a 20yr old out of date showerhead.

Messing around with an old showerhead is a labor of love.. good luck.
Good for you that you have customers who never clean the shower heads and pay you hundreds of dollars / hour to replace the shower heads in their homes. Not the kind of plumber that I would ever call in my lifetime.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks