Mini split sizing and location questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmduhon73

Reaction score
We are about to start completely remodeling our mobile home and want to switch from central air to mini splits. In doing research I've come across 2 questions that I can't find an answer to. Everything I've found says to place the air handlers 7 to 8 ft above the floor but 8 inches below the ceiling. My walls are 7 ft high so obviously i don't have room for those numbers. Would placing them 6.5 ft above the floor work? Second question is will a 12000 btu unit be enough for a 16×26 ft living room and kitchen? It's completely open with no wall, bar, or counters. We're on the Texas coast and the house runs lengthwise almost straight east to west with the front door facing south, and will be redoing all the insulation in the ceiling, walls, and floor.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
To properly determine the sizing, load calculation needs to be done.
You could try some free load calc by google search. I subscribed to a fancy HVAC load/sizing program by Writesoft but that license expired.
You need to know insulation type and thickness for each wall and ceiling, plus glazing size and R value.

Rmduhon73

Reaction score
To properly determine the sizing, load calculation needs to be done.
You could try some free load calc by google search. I subscribed to a fancy HVAC load/sizing program by Writesoft but that license expired.
You need to know insulation type and thickness for each wall and ceiling, plus glazing size and R value.
I've done several load calculations from different sites and the results range from 7000 btus to 15000 btus. The r value will be at least r-13, possibly more, especially in the ceiling and floor. If you are referring to windows when you mention glazing I couldn't answer that, but we will probably be getting new ones.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Check with electric company see if they offer a energy audit and rebates on equipment and insulation. How large was the central air did it do the job. Sq. ft. of the home. Mini wall units need at least the minimum distance from ceiling listed. The coil is distance is needed for cleaning and service which is mounted directly below the cabinet. Use the best windows and insulation that your budget allows. Pay me now or for ever. With being in a high humidity area do some homework on a vapor barrier. Google this

Low Wall Ductless Mini Split System​

(72 Reviews)

Rmduhon73

Reaction score
Check with electric company see if they offer a energy audit and rebates on equipment and insulation. How large was the central air did it do the job. Sq. ft. of the home. Mini wall units need at least the minimum distance from ceiling listed. The coil is distance is needed for cleaning and service which is mounted directly below the cabinet. Use the best windows and insulation that your budget allows. Pay me now or for ever. With being in a high humidity area do some homework on a vapor barrier. Google this

Low Wall Ductless Mini Split System​

(72 Reviews)
Thr current unit is a Rheem 3ton 36k btu 14 Seer that is 5 years old this month. It was good for the master bedroom, tolerable in the living room and kitchen (as long as we weren't using the stove), barely tolerable in the small bedroom next to the living room, and horrible for the guest bathroom and end bedroom. The mini splits we have been looking at are 18 to 22 Seer. Square footage for the house is 1216. Will most likely have r15 in the walls and r20 in the underbelly and ceiling, more if we have room between joists and studs. Haven't looked at windows just yet, but planning on getting the best we can even if we need to get slightly bigger or smaller ones.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks