Mini-split condensate drain installation question

Users who are viewing this thread

BostonGuido

Reaction score
I am considering installing a (third) mini-split, this one after construction. The first 2 have the inside-unit water condensate drain lines routed inside the poured concrete walls, so nicely exiting through the edge of the upstairs deck. Outdoor units are on the ground floor. The third, after construction, one will have the outdoor condensing unit on the second floor just outside where the inside (evaporator) wall mounted unit is.

I want to avoid drilling through the ,tiled poured concrete deck for the water condensate line (difficult, and would still have to route the water drain line somewhere, so unattractive). My idea is to do something similar to what some window-mount AC units do, which is to direct the drain line into the lower pan of the outdoor unit and let the fan accelerate the evaporation. Has anyone seen a mini-split designed for this or has anyone tried it? An ordinary outdoor unit will need to have the holes in the bottom of the fan/condenser case (the pan) sealed up, but not a big deal.

Any other ideas from the pros?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Mini condenser has holes in the bottom for defrost mode in heat and for rain . Collecting condensate in the bottom that wasn't design for it is a bad idea. Window ac units designed by having the fan blade with slinger to throw condensate on the coil. They make condensate pumps that fit the cabinet of wall units with 5 /16" clear tubing off them.

BostonGuido

Reaction score
Thanks, Fitter. Appreciate the reply. But where would the condensate pump in the wall unit pump to? No drain nearby. Running clear tubing would have to be on the living side of the (cast concrete) wall so pretty ugly.

BostonGuido

Reaction score
There will have to be a hole drilled down to the ground floor, through the deck. Wall mounted disconnect (hole thru wall for power which is in a box on the inside wall) and conduit up to through the deck to the condenser unit for power. Grey box and grey conduit going up from it blends in reasonably well. A clear tube down to the floor however would leave a puddle/stream on the ground floor slab all the time. Same with terminating the tube on the upstairs deck - puddle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks