Min distance from toilet flange to closet bend

Users who are viewing this thread

DanFL

Reaction score
Does IPC specify any minimum distance from the toilet flange to the closet bend?

1674614281887.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
No. So the minimum would be dictated by structural conditions and interference between the bend and the subfloor.

Cheers, Wayne

DanFL

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne, good to know.

Unrelated question, but I've been curious about these situations... in that pic above, the closet bend arm is perpendicular to the main drain line below. The main drain slopes down to the right (not visually in the pic but in reality it slopes down to the right). If you rotated the toilet flange 90 degrees counter-clockwise (looking from the top) on the vertical drop/vent stack, you would have that short horizontal arm after the closet bend directly over and parallel to the main drain, but sloping in the wrong direction, correct? Would this be allowed? Does code specify the allowable orientations in this case?

Reach4

Reaction score
Sloping in the upward is wrong, plus it is not allowed. You must keep the slope downward. Was that what you were asking?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you rotated the toilet flange 90 degrees counter-clockwise (looking from the top) on the vertical drop/vent stack, you would have that short horizontal arm after the closet bend directly over and parallel to the main drain, but sloping in the wrong direction, correct?
Why do you say it would be sloping in the wrong direction? It would still be sloping down from the closet bend to the san-tee. So it would be sloping in the opposite direction (as far as left vs right) as the lower 3" drain, but that's fine.

Cheers, Wayne

DanFL

Reaction score
Here's a diagram to explain what's going on in my head. I've over-exaggerated the slope/rotation to make it more obvious. My assumption is that when the entire system is assembled, the whole thing "rotates" as shown. This is why I think that upper part is sloping in the wrong direction.
1674662970960.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's not going to happen if you don't want it to. Either each 90 degree joint is more like 89 degrees, or each joint has around 1 degree of adjustability (I've not actually figured out which one is true). So if you pay attention, the upper arrow won't have reverse slope like that.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks