Metal closet flange too high - help!

Users who are viewing this thread

TubeNoob

Reaction score
We live in an older house and are updating some of the fixtures in our powder room. After removing the existing toilet, I knew that we might have a problem with the existing closet flange.

The flange itself seems it good condition, but sticks up about 1/2" to 5/8" above the finished tile floor. The flange is copper and the waste pipe also appears to be copper. The pipes below the room are inaccessible without tearing things up.

I tried dry fitting a new Drake 776 series toilet to the flange, but noticed that the toilet appeared to just be sitting on the flange itself and wasn't resting on the floor. I called a plumber to inspect the situation and he thought my best bet was to replace the toilet itself for a model with a just bit more clearance to accommodate a higher closet flange.

Any suggestions on either 1) lowering this flange and waste pipe without having to rip up my floor or 2) toilets that can accommodate a slightly higher flange? The folks at Toto suggested a unifit, skirted toilet - but I'm leery of increasing the height even more with the unifit adapter.

Help!

IMG_2596.jpg
IMG_2598.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You could cut off the flange you have and glue in a replacement flange that is an "inside" fit.
I see that you have an ABS closet flange with metal ring.

sioux-chief-888-am-02.jpg

sioux-chief-888-am-03.jpg

sioux-chief-888-am-01.jpg

Then install with a single wax ring without a horn.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure what you have there. Is that a thick cast iron or bronzed flange? Or is it a thin-metal-ring glue-in flange?

If thick, I would wonder if the black is some remnant of a wax ring horn. Or is the black looking area the part of the bronze flange that has not been shined up?

How high does the toilet sit high of the floor when you try to fit it without wax? If a small amount, you could use shims under the the toilet to raise the toilet the 1/16 inch, for example.

How high does the flange sit? For that measurement, I suggest placing a level across the flange at the high point, and shim up the other end of the level to center the bubble. What is the measurement?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
He has ABS pipes there. It's an ABS closet flange with metal ring, which can be cut off and a new replacement flange inserted inside the existing ABS.

TubeNoob

Reaction score
He has ABS pipes there. It's an ABS closet flange with metal ring, which can be cut off and a new replacement flange inserted inside the existing ABS.
Hi, unfortunately we're dealing with copper pipes in this setup. The photo I posted is misleading since there was still a black plastic horn jammed in the flange (pulled that out after picture was taken). The waste pipes are all 3" copper, which I'm guessing makes this much more complicated than dealing with ABS or PVC. Any suggestions?

Reach4

Reaction score
What is under there-- basement, crawlspace, slab?

Your plumber's suggestion sounds good, but you still might want to address the questions in the last two paragraphs of #3.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
3" copper has the same ID as plastic.
You can still cut it down and replace the flange.

Have you tried setting the bowl without the black plastic left over from the wax with horn?
Often, that is what prevents the bowl from dropping down. I'm amazed the plumber that came out didn't peel that out and try the bowl again.

This flange would work.

You set the bowl down without wax and it was still high centered?

neorest-install-03.jpg

Last edited:

TubeNoob

Reaction score
3" copper has the same ID as plastic.
You can still cut it down and replace the flange.

Have you tried setting the bowl without the black plastic left over from the wax with horn?
Often, that is what prevents the bowl from dropping down. I'm amazed the plumber that came out didn't peel that out and try the bowl again.

This flange would work.

You set the bowl down without wax and it was still high centered?

neorest-install-03.jpg
Hi folks - just wanted to give a quick update and close the loop on this. Thanks for all of the quick replies and great suggestions.

I was able to get my old plumber in to take a look (we took a chance on a new guy and it didn't go well). By removing the embedded black plastic horn in the flange, we were able to get things on just fine with no issue!

I really appreciate the advice and support. This forum has been invaluable as a new homeowner!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks