Macerating Toilet and fixture units question **with photos**

Users who are viewing this thread

JOSEPH SMOOT

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just did the DWV plumbing in my home, remodeling and first time home owner. Everything is new and previously (2019) passed code, woohoo. Stack and vent are 3". Currently 1 tub, 1 toilet, 2 sinks, 1 dishwasher.

Had my septic done, and specifically ask for (and had passed) my 50% larger request to allow for a basement bathroom. Now is coming time to start planning to do such renovation. I am allotted a convenience bathroom which by my septic designers standards, allows for a stand up shower.

I currently have a very short stack and run because all my fixtures are on the same wall and close to the septic outlet which sits high off the floor. Right now, I have a 2" pipe with an AAV that my washing machine pumps/ drains into (up in the ceiling).

I am wondering if I plan on adding my macerating toilet, how many fixture units does that account for? (since 2" can only have 6 units). Before I sealed up the walls, I installed a 2" vent pipe from the basement to the stack in the attic so I am not worried about ditching the AAV and finding a vent. Pre - planned for that one.

I have attached a photo of what I would like to do. Washing machine last in line, discharging into my utility sink. The sink would then discharge along the wall and connect to my toilet. The stand up shower (on a base) and lav sink would Wye into this same 2" as well if possible. I've attached the link for the toilet and pump id plan on using, which has 2" inlets and is rated for these fixtures to be attached. > https://www.saniflodepot.com/collec...-toilets/products/saniflo-sanibest-pro-toilet

Because it is so short, I could also add a 2" wye at the end of my run where I have a clean out so I could separate the wash/sink from the shower/sink/toilet, but it would require a lot more plumbing. The stars on my picture indicate where I could connect my plumbing.

Basement Set Up w actual photo1.jpg
Basement Set Up.png

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
check the mfg. specs on the macerating toilet. In your case, I don't think it's going to matter because your main gutline is 3" diameter. the macerating toilet works no different than any other waste pump. so check those mfg. specs.

also, make sure you POST SIGNS. Every single service call I've had on macerating toilets - I found those "flushable" wipes, those plastic things with the little piece of dental floss, dental floss, condoms etc. Those macerating toilets are expensive and the warranty will not cover foreign objects. So POST SIGNS are some idiot is going to throw something in that toilet and cost you a couple of grand.

if you have the ability to break the floor, I would strongly suggest you install a sewage ejector pump. It'll cost you about $600 if you do it yourself (vs. $2k for a macerating toilet). And you can actually swap out pump fairly easily (and fairly inexpensive). A macerating toilet - that's just not the case. Macerating toilet vs. sewage ejector pump. I'd go with the ejector pump every time.

JOSEPH SMOOT

Reaction score
check the mfg. specs on the macerating toilet. In your case, I don't think it's going to matter because your main gutline is 3" diameter. the macerating toilet works no different than any other waste pump. so check those mfg. specs.

also, make sure you POST SIGNS. Every single service call I've had on macerating toilets - I found those "flushable" wipes, those plastic things with the little piece of dental floss, dental floss, condoms etc. Those macerating toilets are expensive and the warranty will not cover foreign objects. So POST SIGNS are some idiot is going to throw something in that toilet and cost you a couple of grand.

if you have the ability to break the floor, I would strongly suggest you install a sewage ejector pump. It'll cost you about $600 if you do it yourself (vs. $2k for a macerating toilet). And you can actually swap out pump fairly easily (and fairly inexpensive). A macerating toilet - that's just not the case. Macerating toilet vs. sewage ejector pump. I'd go with the ejector pump every time.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I'll see with the specs what it is rated to. The ejector pump does seem like the better way to go, but I have a pretty high water table and I don't want to open more holes in my floor to potentionally allow ground water to work its way up into. My sump pump has a hard life in the spring time.

Do you happen to know how many fixture units this counts as? If you count the washer(2), laundry sink(2), shower (2) lav sink (1) and toilet (3) I've got way over 6 for the 2" pipe. But I don't know if the macerating toilet brings that number down, and since all the fixtures feeding it bottle neck at that fixture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks