Lowering Kitchen Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Leungw

Reaction score
Hello all. I am looking for advice on properly lowering the drain in my kitchen. It's about 24" off the floor now. We are getting a 10" deep sink with a garbage disposal. I believe the drain should be about 16" high.

Attached picture shows how the drains are set up. All are 2" pipes. The right side goes to the washer, about 4ft away. The left goes to the kitchen sink, also about 4ft away. I need to lower the kitchen sink drain to where the washer drain is. Would a double san-tee work in this case? Or do I have to split up the vertical vent into two, with each one picking up a drain?

Thank you in advance.

1651635970240.png

Leungw

Reaction score
Is this what you're thinking?

Yes. I read about this approach on other threads with similar questions.

Those threads also mention double san tee, double fixture tee, etc. The correct approach seems to be dependent on what the actual fixtures are. That's why I wanted to ask whether a double san tee could be used in this case.

Thank you.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
NJ has an uncommon plumbing code, the NSPC, so you'd have to check it for a definitive answer. But generally a double fixture fitting would be fine. Snaking through it and exiting the bottom can be difficult, I hear, so a cleanout below might be wise.

Cheers, Wayne

Leungw

Reaction score
Thank you Wayne.

Would branching out the vertical vent also work (like picture below)? If so, which approach is better? Thank you again.

1651684391539.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The advantage of the green layout, is that both sides are vented, and when snaking, it follows the drain pathway and doesn't cross over into the other drain.
This was mocked up with 1.5" for work on a remodel where there was only one sink to begin with. Current code is 2" for two lavs or sinks. Way better though than a double cross. What a pain that would be to snake on 1.5"
You have 2" now, so that's not an issue.
A 2" double fixture cross would also work, with the cleanout above it on the vent side. That way, where the two drains come together, that can be snaked too.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks