loop a base-ray cast iron baseboard with itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Loueber

Reaction score
Hi fast question. I am reinstalling a 8 foot long (5 sections) - 7 inch tall base ray cast iron baseboard after a kitchen renovation. (non steam)

Problem: drilling into the floor for the water exit pipe on the left side will be almost impossible, due to floor joists, and rim joists.
Although i see that the ends of each section does have a meeting point where the top piping of the baseboard would allow water to transfer to the lower piping.
Question: Can i connect the left side of the baseboard top and bottom pipe to each other, and on the right side of the bb, plumb my inlet into the lower pipe, and then plumb the upper pipe as the exit?
i assume it WOULD work IF each section completely kept the upper and lower pipe separate. Thereby allowing me to make a real loop. But it seems from the back of the BB it isnt 100% separate.

I planned on cutting out the section of the extra rim joist , but it will take a lot of work becuase of the space to work in. So i was hoping the loop might be feasible?
Thanks

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what your saying. I do know people will run piping inside of the baseboard enclosure or on the floor under it.

Fitter30

Reaction score
No can't pipe the supply and return from one end with only using one bb high. Can u raise the bb and run a return pipe under and back next to the supply or use a corner piece of covering to hide the return at the end?

Loueber

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what your saying. I do know people will run piping inside of the baseboard enclosure or on the floor under it.
It was hard to describe without pics. That would work with coper slant fin type baseboards. Mine are the heavy cast iron ones.

Loueber

Reaction score
No can't pipe the supply and return from one end with only using one bb high. Can u raise the bb and run a return pipe under and back next to the supply or use a corner piece of covering to hide the return at the end?
Ok thanks. That's kind of what I was expecting.
I think your idea of a corner piece might work. But instead I can send it one foot into the cabinet and through to the other side where I have room to send it down through the floor.
I can build something up around the one foot section. Thanks for the idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks