looking for main line advice

Users who are viewing this thread

NewbyPlumber

Reaction score
Hello all, I just registered here like 10 minutes ago, I have replaced a few CPVC lines in my home for hot water feed. I am not a licensed plumber in PA but reside in Lancaster county. My wife and I bought this house in late November 2022. The house was built in 1954 if I remember correctly and the main sewer pipe in a orangish clay pipe, which is cracked right at the drain opening and I'm assuming down further because sewer backs into the house. I've rented a large drain snake about 2 weeks ago, ran it all the way to where I can see it in the holding tank and it cleared up a bit but now its back, any toilet flush, shower or even extended periods of sink running will cause water to back into the house. there is water standing in the pipe even after a night of no water use. The pipe is run under the entire length of house in the foundation so I am running a new line. I bought basic hand tools, trenching shovel, normal spade shovel, digging iron, post hole digger and am doing it by hand because we cant afford someone to do it. The frost line here is 42 inches and I'm wondering if insulating the pipe will allow me to bury it less? I know its unconventional and probably not up to code but I cant afford even renting a mini excavator for a couple days to get this done. I'm running out of options and I'm looking for some advice. I plan on using 4 inch schedule 40 PVC, sloped at the standard 1/4 per foot.

Best regards,
The Newb

Last edited:

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
You might check with your building official about required depth of the sewer pipe. In my zone it does not need to be below the frost line. If it is properly installed it would not have standing water in it to freeze.

NewbyPlumber

Reaction score
You might check with your building official about required depth of the sewer pipe. In my zone it does not need to be below the frost line. If it is properly installed it would not have standing water in it to freeze.
that makes a lot of sense, i guess what i was googling was talking about pipes with standing water, with the pipe essentailly being used to transfer sewage to a holding tank it would not have to be below the frost line. I will still check with the local township but i believe i will probably be okay with a 24 inch depth and some insulation around the pipe just to be safe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks