Looking for advise on mini split in a two story 1200 sq ft home

Users who are viewing this thread

Josh342

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just joined the forum because I am wanting to gain knowledge on mini splits and the best option for my particular situation. I have a 100 year old 2 store home that is just shy of 1200 sq ft. It is a cape cod style home. The plan was to go with a mini split because A: I have no AC and B: the current furnace situation will not support having central air and the plan is to move away from forced air and go radiant.

The main floor, which I would say is roughly 600 sq ft, has a living room, dining room, kitchen, stairway, bathroom, and the master. The second floor consists of the stairway with a small open area and three bedrooms. a bedroom to the left, a bedroom straight forward, and a bedroom to the right, while standing at the top of the stairwell.

I have been going through various brands, the first one being MrCool but recently found Senville. I found that the Senville was priced much more attractively than the MrCool and I am sure there are reasons for this but nothing confirmed. My thoughts were to go with a unit that is around 24000 BTU and two heads. Depending on where you go, you can find the different sizing (18k + 12k) and so on.

I would like to place a unit in the dining room that would face towards the living room and allow air to enter the kitchen, which is to the left, as you are standing against the wall in dining room with unit. Then, I could place a unit on the wall where the stairway turns, (first landing) and it would face the 3 steps going up into the upstairs, facing bedrooms.

So the thoughts were to go 2 zone. But then I find this post on here where a member named 'Dana' mentioned that sometimes it makes sense to go individual units instead of multi because the price can be lower and that you have two units modulating. This was something that I was not aware of. A unit not running still has refrigerant flowing through when the other unit is running. It makes sense though. After looking at pricing, I find that with the Senville, it is more affordable to go with two units.

Anyway, just curious on your thoughts. Also, which brands do you recommend? Why is the MrCool priced higher?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Mini splits when they break parts aren't readily available might be a few days away. Two units might be better choice. I'm vary rural have a 3 bed and 2 bath heat and cool with 2 systems 3 head each splitting the house up just for that reason.

Josh342

Reaction score
I find random sites with calculations that are all over the place. One is telling me that I should use around 18-26 BTU for two unit and some saying upwards around 36k unit. I am working with CoolCal, trying to enter information but my numbers are skewed. I am guessing that I have entered some bad data somewhere.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Looked up your weather for July and August looks the hi is around 85° and humidity is high. Try this program
Contact your electric company see if they offer a energy audit that includes a blower door test also rebates on equipment and after the first of the year theirs a federal tax credit.
2 nd floor bedrooms, head unit on the landing might need fans to the air into the rooms.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks