Liberty 404L pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Akarusso

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I know this has been discussed but I am unclear. I have to install a Liberty 404 for a utility sink and washer. I can go into the sewer line on the first floor but not the vent line. My question is can I just run a 2 inch pvc pipe 3 feet high with 2 90s to clear a goose neck. Other than a potential smell from the gray water will this set up work. Btw I’m arguing with a plumber that an AAV won’t work. He keeps saying yes.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't understand your goose neck comment but an AAV will work properly I've seen them installed in a few places, you just need someone to confirm it's accepted where you live.

Akarusso

Reaction score
Don't understand your goose neck comment but an AAV will work properly I've seen them installed in a few places, you just need someone to confirm it's accepted where you live.
Good neck meaning 2 90 to curve down. How will the pump release the air inside as it’s filling?
Hi everyone. I know this has been discussed but I am unclear. I have to install a Liberty 404 for a utility sink and washer. I can go into the sewer line on the first floor but not the vent line. My question is can I just run a 2 inch pvc pipe 3 feet high with 2 90s to clear a goose neck. Other than a potential smell from the gray water will this set up work. Btw I’m arguing with a plumber that an AAV won’t work. He keeps saying yes.
will an AAV work?

Reach4

Reaction score
The problem with an AAV on a tank is that it will not release air to allow filling the tank with water. For just a washing machine and laundry tub feeding the Liberty 404, you could perhaps open the vent. If you open the vent, it then would make me suspect you would not need any trap for standpipe or laundry sink.

An AAV could be used on the traps before the Liberty 404.

I am not a plumber. I am just trying to think it thru.

Here are some posts on the topic:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
A liberty 404 is a tiny vessel, it will start to pump immediately after the washer starts draining so an AAV won't make any difference. I would be more concerned if it could keep up with a washer. You might want to investigate that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The sink I had draining the washing machine would not drain into the pump's basin when I had an AAV installed...I had to atmospherically vent the line. IOW, an AAV would not work.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Can I just connect an open pvc pipe 2 ft above the pump?
Yes, but ideally, you'd vent it properly by connecting to a real vent line. That will allow sewer gasses to come into the house when open like that. Whether the pump's basin will fill or not depends on the way the rest of the system is configured with the bigger part determined by how high the water must be pumped before it reaches a line with downward slope and how fast the water is trying to flow into it from the WM sort of like trying to blow up a balloon versus blowing out a straw.

Akarusso

Reaction score
Yes, but ideally, you'd vent it properly by connecting to a real vent line. That will allow sewer gasses to come into the house when open like that. Whether the pump's basin will fill or not depends on the way the rest of the system is configured with the bigger part determined by how high the water must be pumped before it reaches a line with downward slope and how fast the water is trying to flow into it from the WM sort of like trying to blow up a balloon versus blowing out a straw.
The issue is there is no vent line in basement.

Reach4

Reaction score
You have a check valve at the tank, and water above the check valve. So I don't see sewer gases getting into your basement due to an unvented tank. A real vent for the tank would prevent smells that develop in the tank from going into your basement. But your basement is only going to be for laundry. Do not clean fish in the laundry sink. ;-)

1/2 teaspoon of bleach into the tank could probably deal with anything growing there. If there is a problem (unlikely IMO), I have an idea for a workaround that I won't get into yet.

Akarusso

Reaction score
You have a check valve at the tank, and water above the check valve. So I don't see sewer gases getting into your basement due to an unvented tank. A real vent for the tank would prevent smells that develop in the tank from going into your basement. But your basement is only going to be for laundry. Do not clean fish in the laundry sink. ;-)

1/2 teaspoon of bleach into the tank could probably deal with anything growing there. If there is a problem (unlikely IMO), I have an idea for a workaround that I won't get into yet.
Thanks for the reply. So I have a check valve on the discharge. The wash machine is piped with a trap. The sink I’m installing now. Is there any point of adding a trap to the sink?
Should I add the 2 ft vent line with a studor or just leave open?

Reach4

Reaction score
What do you mean that the washing machine is piped with a trap. Are you referring to the standpipe?

If you just leave the top of the tank open, I wonder if you would get splashing.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The 404l does not come with a check valve, but you can add one.

Note, laundry discharge often contains a bunch of fibers, and those can eventually affect the operation of a check valve, and in combination with the detergent and especially fabric softeners, and leave some funky deposits over time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks