Leak from replacement drain gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

Paddy Coughlin

Reaction score
I just replaced a bathroom faucet set on a Corian lav but could not stop the drain gasket from dripping. Assuming that I did not seat it uniformly, I installed a new gasket and paid close attention to getting it squarely seated. I am still getting drips.

The replacement set is good stuff (Giagni) and I don't suspect a quality problem. Before screwing the sink flange onto the drain rim assembly, I cleaned the opening and caulked the underside of the flange with the recommended silicone caulk.

The original installation is 20 years old. It looks like some water migrated from the countertop via the hot water faucet over time and discolored the area around the bottom of the sink opening. Is this a typical problem that might be causing the poor seal? Any and all tips on how to get this baby seated will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Paddy Coughlin

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Loosen the nut and flat metal washer so that you can pull down the rubber washer. Dry the fine threads and run a small silicone caulk bead where the washer will make contact. Then tighten back up.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I usually use my thumb to fill the threads on the drain body where the heavy gasket will sit, with plumbers putty. Otherwise, even though the gasket seals perfectly well against the bottom of the sink, a drop of water travels down along the threads just in time to ruin your day!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks