Laundry Wiring Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Hiluxsurf

Reaction score
So - have a wiring question about going from a 4 wire (3+G) cable to a 3 wire (2 +G) cable.

As is there is a designated circuit which comes from the breaker (double pole) with 3+G (Old cable, red, white, black and G) to an outlet.

The cable OUT of the outlet other side goes to a dishwasher - and is a 2+G cable.

In the box, the red (from 3G) and the black (from 2G) are connected with a wire nut. The black and white from the 3g and the white from the 2g are connected to the outlet.

I was going to replace the outlet with a 20A GFCI - but hadn't realised until I got in there that there was a 3+G cable which the wiring instructions say not to use.

Can I wire in the GFCI the same way as the previous outlet?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that there are two hots and a neutral, and a box. So do you just isolate the extra hot, or use a 4-inch box with two GFCI outlets... and each gets a hot and a neutral.

I think codes want you to either use a 2-pole breaker to power the two hots, or to have the two single pole breaker handles tied together in a prescribed way.

Hiluxsurf

Reaction score
I think you are saying that there are two hots and a neutral, and a box. So do you just isolate the extra hot, or use a 4-inch box with two GFCI outlets... and each gets a hot and a neutral.

I think codes want you to either use a 2-pole breaker to power the two hots, or to have the two single pole breaker handles tied together in a prescribed way.
Reach4 - you come to my salvation once again!

See attached images - one showing existing, and one showing what I think I can do - splices shown as blobs.

Look right to you?

Attachments

• 0-2.jpg
    0-2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 0-3.jpg
    0-3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 83

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. This presumes you have 240 volts between the red supply and the black supply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks