Laundry tray connection to standpipe

Users who are viewing this thread

EJ3

Reaction score
I started to rough-in my laundry drain box, not thinking to check the 2018 IRC. I was using information that I had from 14+ years ago (see attached).

Based on my p-trap at 12" above the floor, at what elevation do I need to mount the bottom of the drain box? Based on 2018 IRC, it would seem I need to be at 42" above the floor. If so, luckily I have only dry fitted the box to the standpipe.

Any help clarifying this would be greatly appreciated.

2018 IRC

P2706.1.2 Standpipes.

Standpipes shall extend not less than 18 inches and not greater than 42 inches above the trap weir.

P2706.1.2.1 Laundry tray connection to standpipe

Where a laundry tray waste line connects into a standpipe for an automatic clothes washer drain, the standpipe shall extend not less than 30 inches above the standpipe trap weir and shall extend above the flood level rim of the laundry tray. The outlet of the laundry tray shall not be greater than 30 inches horizontally from the standpipe trap.

Attachments

• Laundry Standpipe.jpeg
    Laundry Standpipe.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 289
  • Laundry drain box.jpg
    Laundry drain box.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 295

Reach4

Reaction score
The trap weir will be the inside of the bottom of the trap arm, so higher than your 12" by about 2 inches.

Last edited:

EJ3

Reaction score
A laundry tray is a laundry sink. P2706.1.2.1 has no bearing on the installation in the photo.

Cheers, Wayne
Thank you for clarifying that a tray is a sink. I assumed it is a drain box.

So as long as I am 18" to 42" above the trap weir, I am good to go.

Laundry drain box (1).jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks