Kitchen sink drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
We had a leak because of a really bad connection to the garbage disposal. Realizing how old the disposal was, I decided to get a new one. The old one had some kind of flex pipe to connect to the Tee that was a little bit lower (it is a double sink). I decided to try to keep everything level from both sinks to the Tee. That ended moving the pipe from sink on the right all the way up to the drain. Is that too close? Is there a way to make that connection, or do I need to rethink everything?

The blue disposal is the old one.

Attachments

• kitchen.sink.drains.old.sized.jpg
    kitchen.sink.drains.old.sized.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 100
  • kitchen.sink.drains.current.sized.jpg
    kitchen.sink.drains.current.sized.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 101

Reach4

Reaction score
If it works, it is fine.
Many prefer a connection like shown on the second post of https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/install-garbage-disposal-in-double-sink.1736/

If you get repeated clogs at the tee, you could reconfigure. That would require you to add a slip joint 45 on the way to the wall. Or better yet, cut a double offset in half to get your 45 degrees. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plumb-Pak-PP44W-Double-Offset-1-1-2-White/114958128

Note that the baffle in your baffle tee is different than the baffle in the tees shown in the other post.

Don't forget to knock out the knockout before hooking up the dishwasher to the disposal.

Last edited:

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
I don't actually have it connected to the sink on the right yet, but could the tee in the first photo from your link attach directly to the sink drain (sorry if I'm not calling that the right name)?

I think my main problem is that the sink on the left is more shallow, so the drain of the disposal is elevated. Maybe I should move it to the other sink?

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
I got a direct connection piece to connect to the sink on the right. I think I have it all done now except for the dishwasher hose. I think it fit over the connection on the old insinkerator, but it seems like it's the same diameter as the connection on the new Frigidaire disposal. It's a Bosch dishwasher, if that matters. Have the sizes changed? The old disposal was very old.

sink.drain.jpg
dishwasher.hose.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Bosch hose end is large for the 7/8" disposer connection and further in 5/8" to fit 1/2" copper.
You have those two options with that hose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks