Kitchen faucet recommend, thermostatic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lifespeed

Reaction score
I have a GS faucets (Italian company) thermostatic kitchen faucet, which I think is no longer in production, although you can see the shower thermostatic cartridge it uses at the link. It looks a lot like this Chinese knock-off, maybe that's why it isn't sold by GS anymore. It's all brass and has mostly been pretty reliable, although I have disassembled the thermostatic cartridge twice in about seven years to clean (soaked it in CLR) when it would get sticky and not control the temperature over the full range. This is on a copper-piped backwashing carbon-filtered and softened city water supply, so pretty benign environment.

Now one of the few plastic bits, the rotation stop in the plastic temperature knob, has broken. It's sad to consider replacing what has been a nice faucet for such a trivial part, but it does affect it's use by untrained operators. And the wife and kids don't seem to be trainable to not rotate the temperature knob more than 360 degrees.

I really like the fact they thought to put a thermostatic shower cartridge in a kitchen faucet. Mostly we never touch the temperature knob, just turn on the volume knob and 104 degree water comes out. Is there any such animal available from a quality manufacturer? Having gone through quite a few too-plastic kitchen faucets I'm reluctant to consider most of the garbage on the market.

Failing to find a thermostatic version, what is a good, all-metal faucet with a quality replaceable cartridge? My understanding is the usual suspects often use cheap plastic ball valves that don't last. Are ceramic disc cartridges the way to go?

Lifespeed

Reaction score
Although that doesn't combine the flexibility of fingertip temperature control with set-and-forget thermostatic valve.

Lifespeed

Reaction score
Good find, although I don't find the word "thermostatic" anywhere in the literature, but I did read "mixing valve". I'll keep this in mind for the kitchen remodel. It turns out GS Faucets still sells this faucet, as well as service parts, so I can easily repair it for $20. Which I'll do, as I love the thermostatic cartridge, reliability and minimal plastic.

Probably they could do a better job on their website displaying their products, it really has been a good fixture. Previous to installing this I think I went through three faucets in five years, all crap. But not priced as such, they were your usual $200 - $300 junk. Which I guess is not expensive for a kitchen faucet, apparently you've got to get into $500 - $1,000 for good stuff.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks