Kitchen exhaust fan through soffit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Workindirt

Reaction score
I just discovered that my previous contractor did not vent my Braun kitchen exhaust fan to the outside of my house. He just laid the flexible duct in the attic, near a soffit, didn't vent it to the outside.
I cannot vent the kitchen exhaust duct through the roof or side wall.
Question: 1. What type of soffit vent should I use to vent my kitchen exhaust through the soffit? I saw photos on a house of some vents that direct the air away from the house, but cannot locate them anywhere.
2. Does the screen on some of the soffit vents collect the grease from the range and clog up after a while?
3. Can the flexible venting hose for the kitchen exhaust be hooked into my bathroom vent so I don't have two holes in my soffit? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! Thank you.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Google search “Panasonic EZ Vent”. Be sure to get the correct diameter for the flex hose.
Unless you do a lot of frying, normal venting doesn’t contain grease. The filter grates on the the exhaust hood collects most of the grease. Like anything else, you’ll need to inspection the vent once in a while.
Do not share the bathroom vent with the kitchen. This was my parents house in East Meadow and it entire roof and front facade was rebuilt in April 2017. Home built in 1953. Maybe 40 years ago my father added a bathroom vent and placed the duct at the soffit. You can see the vent hole he cut to the right and this plywood was covered with vented aluminum soffit. Soffit venting never works. A proper roof vent was installed.

. 039B3965-22FA-4964-ADEA-9FF9FD23188F.jpeg

Last edited:

Workindirt

Reaction score
Google search “Panasonic EZ Vent”. Be sure to get the correct diameter for the flex hose.
Unless you do a lot of frying, normal venting doesn’t contain grease. The filter grates on the the exhaust hood collects most of the grease. Like anything else, you’ll need to inspection the vent once in a while.
Do not share the bathroom vent with the kitchen. This was my parents house in East Meadow and it entire roof and front facade was rebuilt in April 2017. Home built in 1953. Maybe 40 years ago my father added a bathroom vent and placed the duct at the soffit. You can see the vent hole he cut to the right and this plywood was covered with vented aluminum soffit. Soffit venting never works. A proper roof vent was installed.

.View attachment 51947
Thank you so very much. The Panasonic EZ vent is the type I am looking for, but it's for new construction and my siding and soffits are about 10 years old. I live close to East Meadow. What sort of person would do this sort of work correctly? The two contractors I spoke with said I should vent through the soffit. I am unsure about that. Thank you again.

ezsoffit-vent.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Your previous contractor screwed up: flexible duct should NOT be used with a kitchen exhaust fan. Check your owner's manual and you'll see it says to only use metal duct for the exhaust.

Workindirt

Reaction score
I think my previous contractor and the one I might hire who uses flexible duct, don't want to be bothered to go up on the roof!!!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Any good handyman should be no problem for him. As far as duct type is always a battle of witts. Ideally you always want rigid metal and pitch down (for horizontal runs) from the fan to the outside for any condensate to drain. But there are times that flex duct must be use and as long it is metal and a short run to the outside. It can be wrapped with insulation to minimize condensation. Most homes the range is on an exterior wall so it should be a short run.

This is the type of flex pipe that should be used if rigid duct cannot be used. At homedepot.com search on aluminum flex pipe. Vinyl or foil type aluminum should never be used.

upload_2019-2-26_16-45-11.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks