Kingston brass kb36330PX Tub spout dribbling

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
Installed the valve over the weekend and no leaks when pressurized. However when the diverter valve is turned to both off and shower there is a steady dribble coming out of tub spout. And obviously when turned to tub it runs.

I took it all apart as far as I can tell nothing is missing or damaged. I called them they just offered to replace it but supposedly technical support will be calling me back.

Kingston brass kb36330PX

I used 1/2” copper for tub and shower ports. PEX supply.

I realize in photos the system is capped. The issue is happening when the shower and tub are not capped and I’m just testing the system

Any help appreciated.

3A47C049-3EA9-466F-A30C-AC1E660E57A6.jpeg
2A3FBD95-E1A8-4858-AC54-48A256FBC368.jpeg
4B11603B-1B8C-4A63-97E3-D33298036C65.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yep replace it . whether the entire valve or the innards for the diverter . now before proceeding.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know what you're referring to. Why does this explain your problem? Unless they are saying there's a tolerable amount of dribble.

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
I don't know what you're referring to. Why does this explain your problem? Unless they are saying there's a tolerable amount of dribble.

when the diverter valve is turned to both off and shower there is a steady dribble coming out of tub spout. And obviously when turned to tub it runs

The dribbling (slow but steady flow) never stops. I’m wondering if what it says on the box is what’s going on and there actually isn’t a problem. In other words: if this is normal. a steady dribbling of water

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower valve will turn off, or at least it should.
The diverter to the shower allows water to be pushed upward to the shower head.
When you're done showering, it may take 35 minutes for the riser to the shower head to completely drain down. But then it should stop, completely.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
when the diverter valve is turned to both off and shower there is a steady dribble coming out of tub spout. And obviously when turned to tub it runs

The dribbling (slow but steady flow) never stops. I’m wondering if what it says on the box is what’s going on and there actually isn’t a problem. In other words: if this is normal. a steady dribbling of water
I think most manufacturers consider a small dribble normal. I seem to remember one manufacturer referring to a stream up to the width of a pencil being considered normal. But that couple be a faise memory. You'll want to check with them.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The label says water should come out spout even when diverted to the shower head so I guess its good normal a diverter tub spout drips while shower is on as well .

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
The label says water should come out spout even when diverted to the shower head so i guess its good normal a diverter tub spout drips while shower is on as well .

Yes where it says “the water flow will not shut off completely from the spout per code requirements” is what I meant to highlight in sharing the disclaimer on the side of the box. I mean, maybe I never noticed this while the shower was on in my entire life, that’s fine if it has to be that way but if I have the valve turned to the off position, and water dribbles continuously, that’s a problem in my opinion.

Technically the disclaimer doesn’t specify if the water will dribble constantly in off mode or shower mode or both, it just says water will drip continuously, albeit in the same sentence as when it was talking about the shower head so maybe that’s a clue? I can give them a call but honestly they haven’t been able to help and the “higher ups” won’t return my calls.

At any rate, Terry says a shower riser can drain for 30 minutes but I remember on most if not all tubs to my memory at leastyou can just open the tub spout and it drains the water from the shower. Or is that only on the tub spouts that come with the plug built into the spout itself? See attached photo

DBB49A10-C505-42E0-85B2-E73603241FD5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
The shower valve will turn off, or at least it should.
The diverter to the shower allows water to be pushed upward to the shower head.
When you're done showering, it may take 35 minutes for the riser to the shower head to completely drain down. But then it should stop, completely.

Hmm. Terry, is there not a way to just release the water out of the riser on this particular style of shower valve? If water has to drip while shower is on that’s fine but if when it’s in the off position it drips continuously I’m not sure that seems right - I know what you were saying about it draining for 30 min. and that makes sense, but the disclaimer on the box seems to say the water never stops dribbling from the tub spout, no matter where the valve is turned. However it could just be worded poorly or inadequately for what it’s trying to communicate.

So, do the tub spouts with the plug built into them allow for you to drain all the water from the riser? See attached photo. I seem to remember this being the case in most bathtubs I’ve ever been in but when things become second nature you don’t really think about it all that much...

0465D042-B84D-4F33-983D-4363ECEFD5AC.jpeg

ArayT

Reaction score
As others said it should drain in the off position but should not leak. The warning about installing a hand-shower is because it will not allow the trapped water to drain, like placing your finger over the end of a straw.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks