Keeping pipe from freezing?

Users who are viewing this thread

BullheadPond

Reaction score
Hello,
I live in Northeast Wisconsin. I have a sand point driven 17f tdown. It is in a small pump house building that is not heated.
I will be building a big insulated box around the pump and using light bulbs or a heat lamp to keep the pump from freezing
My question is.
How do you keep the pipe coming up from the ground from freezing? Pipe is straight up & down nothing horizontal except for the 2ft where it goes into the shallow well pump.
Can I tape a heat cable to the pipe about 3 ft down and put that black foam pipe insulation over the pipe and heat cable in the ground?

How does everyone else keep their pipe from freezing in the ground.

Thank you

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Using a pitless adapter and keeping all the pipes below the frost line is the best way. Hard to do with a sand point though. Electric heat is fine until the electricity goes out. Heat lamps catch things on fire. Use an oil filled portable heater with a thermostat on it. They don't get hot enough to start a fire. Put the insulated box over the sand point as well.

Reach4

Reaction score
I will be building a big insulated box around the pump and using light bulbs or a heat lamp to keep the pump from freezing
The pump house is a big box. Why not insulate that? I would avoid light bulbs as heat sources, since they burn out more than heaters.

How do you keep the pipe coming up from the ground from freezing? Pipe is straight up & down nothing horizontal except for the 2ft where it goes into the shallow well pump.
That is inside the pump house, right? If you wanted to use insulation around the pipe, the insulation would have to extend down to the frost line, or you would need to extend the insulation outward so that the heat path to/from the pipe is long.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Seems to me if you insulate the pump house and heat it in whatever way, that as long as you use water everyday you’d be fine. Even at Wisconsin winter temps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks