Jet Pump For Non-Pressurized Solar System?

Users who are viewing this thread

atw58

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am installing a non-pressurized solar water heater on the roof. It has a 40 gal storage tank connected to evacuated tubes which heats the water using thermosyphon. A solenoid controls filling the roof tank with cold water when the water level is side the tank drops below a certain point.

Since this system is non-pressurized, it needs a pump to bring the hot water up to 40/50 psi before feeding the hot water side of the home's plumbing. The pump will be in the basement and the distance between the tank of the roof and pump is 25-30 ft. We currently have a 40 gal natural gas hot water tank.

Ok, here are my questions:
- What type and size of pump should be used shallow well jet, jacuzzi, etc.
- Can the pump feed hot water supply directly or is a water pressure tank needed. If so what should the size be.
- The water temperature can be as high as 150 F. Does this affect pump selection or water pressure tank.

I appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks,
atw58

Attachments

• solar roof 111-1.jpg
    solar roof 111-1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 740

cssolar

Reaction score
Hi I have a non pressure system and use a small wilo auto boost pump which fires up when a tap is opened, the water is used directly ( no extra storage tank )

I do have a gas bolier for back up, with valves to change over manualy

TONY cssolar

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks