Is 1/2 inch PEX okay for a typical urinal flush valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

owkaye

Reaction score
Using 1/2 PEX throughout the house. New construction. Installing this urinal

Maybrook-.5-1.0-gpf-urinal-washout-action

Will 1/2 inch PEX provide enough water volume for this valve

Exposed-Manual-Top-Spud-Urinal-1-0-gpf-Flush-Valve

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In a short answer...no. The spec sheet calls for a minimum of 10gpm capacity, and there's no way you will get that with a 1/2" PEX line, and might not even make it with a 3/4" PEX one. 1/2" copper, using cold water, is capable of about 5gpm safely, and 3/4" about double that, so that's why they call for a 3/4" line (implying copper)...PEX has a smaller ID, so cannot flow as much, and 3/4" PEX has an internal ID of about 1/2" copper.

If you have the room, you could put in a small pressure tank in the wall and plumb the outlet with the required 3/4" outlet...that would give you the instantaneous higher volume, but may be just easier to install it per the instructions and a 3/4" supply. You might find some other valve that would work with a 1/2" supply.

owkaye

Reaction score
If you have the room, you could put in a small pressure tank in the wall and plumb the outlet with the required 3/4" outlet.

I have the room but I don't think I want to do this. I'm running one-inch PVC around the house perimeter anyways for cold water hose bibs -- separate from the PEX. I'm sure I can more easily (and cheaply) tee off this line at the urinal bath to provide the volume needed for the urinal.

Thanks.

owkaye

Reaction score
It is a "washout" urinal so the amount of water is somewhat irrelevant.

My understanding is that when the plumbing does not supply enough volume the flush valve won't work properly. Was I wrong about this? Are you suggesting that 1/2 inch PEX will work fine with the spec'd flush valve?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pressure is one thing, assuming the specs are correct, if it could get 10gpm and it uses 1 gallon, the valve would be open for 6 seconds. Half inch pex might deliver part of that

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks